Packetized L_Q IU type field changes

gop at us.ibm.com gop at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 14 12:02:42 PST 1999

* gop at us.ibm.com
*
During a review of the TYPE field in the L_Q IU a few issues were pointed
out that should be resolved in SPI-3.

1) The current wording in the description of the type codes of last
command, multiple command, and status  is:'The IUCRC INTERVAL field shall
be set to zero.' This is correct but the first thing the tester guys want
to do is set the IUCRC INTERVAL to a non-zero value to see what will
happen. And with no help from the standard I am sure there will be several
wording be changed to: 'The IUCRC INTERVAL field shall be set to zero and
ignored by the target.'

2)There is no wording that tells what to do in the case where an invalid
type code is sent to a target (This would be another test case that would
be tried by our tester friends). I have two suggestions as to what should
be the response and we need to pick one:

-Bring out the big hammer and go bus free.
-Bring out the little hammer and, after dumping all the bytes for the
unidentified IU the follows the L_Q IU (remember in this case the iuCRC is
good so there is a valid length in the L_Q IU and the target is still
required to transfer that number of bytes before doing anything else except
bus free) the target would change to the DT DATA IN phase and send a L_Q
IU/Status IU with the RSPVALID bit set and the packetized failure code set
to 02h (or a newly defined code). If we use the 02h it's definition would
have to be changed from 'SPI command information unit fields invalid' to
'SPI command or SPI L_Q fields invalid'. Or we define a new code xxh that
would be defined as SPI L_Q information unit fields invalid.

Any comments??

Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept Z9V  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-2880

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org