99-229r0 - Restricting Mode Page Code Usage

Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Mon Aug 23 07:02:43 PDT 1999

* Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
*
<<Approval from a T10 ad hoc meeting is not sufficient.  T10 reserves the
right to reassign any uses of these restricted mode page codes that come to
its attention without having received prior explicit   approval.">>

     Well the problem with this is that it implies that an ad hoc (working
group) does have authority to make final decisions on other matters. An ad
hoc only makes recommendations to be sanctioned by the plenary either by
explicit motions or by the plenary accepting their report. Obviously most
recommendations are not reversed since the ad hoc typically represents the
informed point of view of the plenary but the risk exists. I have not
looked back at the minutes but I assume this obvious item that needed
approval of the plenary was approved even if the plenary lapsed into sleep.
On the other hand if this is part of the resolution of letter ballot
comments those have not yet been approved.

Gene

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org