FC-TAPE Minutes, 4 Aug 1999, Rochester MN

WYATT,STEWART (HP-Boise,ex1) stewart_wyatt at am.exch.hp.com
Thu Aug 12 15:46:57 PDT 1999

* "WYATT,STEWART (HP-Boise,ex1)" <stewart_wyatt at am.exch.hp.com>
*
The secretary responds:

Actually three straw polls were taken in the meeting and all of them are
reported in the minutes. A single topic frequently comes up for discussion
multiple times. In agenda item 6 reviewing Charles Binford's comment 004
which Ed quotes, NO straw poll was taken. The subject came up again in the
same agenda item while reviewing Charles comment #029 the meeting minutes
record the straw poll as follows,

"Ed Gardner and Dal Allan argued that the target should be able to ask for
the CONF at its discretion and that an initiator should always comply.  A
straw poll vote was taken with 14 in favor of the change and 2 in favor of
retaining the current wording. Bob asked Dal for a new model to justify the
change."

Note that not only is the results of the poll noted but so is Ed's
participation.

Two additional straw polls were taken during item 6.1, Jim Coomes
T11/99-226r0 on clarifing soft addresses. They are recorded as follows,

"Matt Wakeley was concerned that this would break some existing
implementations. Jim notes that this is the way that Seagate implemented
this function. Bob Snively thought that this was the way most disks were
implemented. Jeff Williams asked for a delay to check the impact on his
design. This started a long discussion which resulted in a straw poll with
the result that 8 voted to oppose a delay and 7 voted to allow delay.  A
second straw poll was taken asking if the change should be included in the
next revision of the FCP (rev 3). The results were 7 for, 7 opposed."

Regards,

Stewart Wyatt
FC-TAPE Secretary

Note: Ed's apologies will be accepted after he provides the secretary a free
dinner.