Arbitration and Data Out bus phase similarities?

John Lohmeyer lohmeyer at t10.org
Wed Aug 11 08:52:01 PDT 1999

* John Lohmeyer <lohmeyer at t10.org>
*
Art,

The situation you describe might be a problem if SCSI were implemented as a
pure state machine.  However, much to the alarm of the purists, SCSI cannot
be implemented as a pure state machine.  One of the rules to begin
Arbitration phase is that the device must first detect Bus Free phase (BSY
and SEL both false for at least 400 ns).  This prevents the situation you
describe (and it means that SCSI chips are a bit more complicated than pure
state machines).

Give me a call if this explanation isn't clear -- I'd be glad to talk further.

John

John Lohmeyer                  Email: lohmeyer at t10.org
Colo Spgs, CO 80907

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org