Arbitration and Data Out bus phase similarities?

Art Rodgers artr at lsil.com
Wed Aug 11 06:45:57 PDT 1999

* Art Rodgers <art.rodgers at lsil.com>
--------------669F9CC4BFF7D62DB8886877

Just a quick question.  I just noticed that the Arbitration and Data Out
phase look the same (looking at BSY being asserted and SEL, C/D, I/O,
ATN, MSG being deasserted).  If the situation occurred where we were in
the middle of the Data Out phase (synchronous) and a target (call it
targ1) has REQ'd up to the max offset and is having to waiting an amount
of time for the ACK's.  In this time frame a second target (targ2)
decides that it is going to try and reselect the initiator.  If it looks
at the bus at this point could it confuse the Data Out phase for an
arbitration phase and drive BSY and it's ID onto the bus.  Additionally,
if this can occur ,then if the Initiator starts to respond with the
ACK's and driving data onto the bus at the same time then there could be
an unknown on the lower 8 bits of the data bus.  I'm not even sure how
often (if at all) this situation could present itself, but what would
the proper way to handle this be?  Thanks.

Art Rodgers

--------------669F9CC4BFF7D62DB8886877

begin:vcard
n:Rodgers;Art
tel;fax:(970)206-5244
tel;work:(970)206-5207
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:LSI Logic
adr:;;2001 Danfield Ct.	;Fort Collins;CO;80525;
version:2.1
email;internet:art.rodgers at lsil.com
title:Hardware Design Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;0