IGNORE WIDE RESIDUE Message

Norbert Lewalski norbert_lewalski at vortex.de
Thu Nov 26 23:49:43 PST 1998

* "Norbert Lewalski" <norbert_lewalski at vortex.de>
*
IGNORE WIDE RESIDUE message has been defined in the SCSI-2
specification and is also part of the SCSI-3 specification. As we
have never seen such a message being sent by a target we wonder if
anyone has ever made use of this message or will do so in the future.

If wide transfer has been negotiated between initiator and target and
transfer count is an odd number of bytes, then the message is not
required as both sides know that the high byte of the last word
transfered must be ingnored.

If wide transfer has been negotiated and transfer count is an even
number of bytes, then why should the target disrupt the transfer at
an odd number of bytes?

Regards,
Norbert Lewalski

Norbert Lewalski                   Phone: +49-(0)7131-59720
ICP vortex Computersysteme GmbH    Fax: +49-(0)7131-255063
Falterstrasse 51-53                Email: n_lewalski at vortex.de
74223 Flein                        WWW: http://www.icp-vortex.com
Germany
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com