Obsolete mixed command and data, mixed data and response

Bob Snively Bob.Snively at Ebay.Sun.COM
Fri Nov 13 14:16:08 PST 1998

* Bob Snively <Bob.Snively at Ebay.Sun.COM>
*

At present, there are no implementations that allow combining the command and
data in a single IU nor any implementations that allow combining the data and
response in a single IU. All implementations use separate IUs (and therefore
separate sequences) for all individual phases. Of course, the phases may be
transferred during the same loop tenancy for improved FC-AL efficiency. I
propose that the FCP-2 be simplified by removing and making obsolete the use of
mixed command/data and mixed data/response. That would eliminate some text in
section 7.1, remove the necessity to clarify sections 7.3 and 7.4, eliminate the
PRLI parameters of command/data mixed allowed and data/response mixed allowed,
and remove IUs T8, T9, T10, T11, I6, and I7.

This has not yet been done in the first revision of FCP-2.

Consider this to be the formal proposal.

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com