IEEE addressing

Edward A. Gardner eag at ophidian.com
Wed May 27 19:11:15 PDT 1998

* "Edward A. Gardner" <eag at ophidian.com>
*
I think the specification of whether to use the MSB or canonical form, and
its precise translation to VPD, needs to be a normative part of the
standard, not buried in an informative example.  Otherwise there is the risk
that one vendor may use one form, another may use the other, with the result
that both present the identical bit pattern.  The net result is that the
IEEE addresses cannot be depended upon to be unique, which defeats the
entire purpose of including them.

I personally think this is significant enough that someone should submit a
public review comment on SPI-2 so this can be fixed.  (If it were already a
published standard, it would justify an amendment).  However, I have no
personal or corporate interest in this and will not submit such a comment
myself.

Edward A. Gardner               eag at ophidian.com
Ophidian Designs                719 593-8866 voice
1262 Hofstead Terrace           719 593-8989 fax
Colorado Springs, CO  80907