IEEE addressing

George Penokie gop at us.ibm.com
Wed May 27 15:19:35 PDT 1998

* George Penokie <gop at us.ibm.com>
*
I have discovered (the hard way) that there are two forms in which the IEEE 24
bit company IDs can be interpreted One way is the MSB form and the other is the
Canonical form. When you go out and look at the IEEE web site to see what
company has what ID you see a hex number which is in the Canonical form. The
problem we have in SPC-2 is that we do not specific which form to use. My
understanding is that all other standards that use the IEEE ID do specific one
or the other. I recommend that the wording in the following paragraph from
SPC-2:

"The example described in this paragraph and shown in table 122 is not a
normative part of this standard. This
example of a complete device identification VPD page assumes that the product
is a direct-access device with an
T10 Vendor ID of "XYZ_Corp", a product identification of "Super Turbo
Disk", and a product serial number of
"2034589345". Furthermore, it is assumed that the manufacturer has been
assigned a 24-bit IEEE company_id of
01ABCDh by the IEEE Registration Authority Committee and that the manufacture
has assigned a 24-bit
extension_identifier of 234567h to this logical unit. The combined 48-bit
identifier is reported in the 64-bit format as
defined by the IEEE 64-bit Global Identifier (EUI-64) standard. The data
returned in the device identification VPD
page for this logical unit is shown in table 122."

Be changed to add the word 'Canonical' in the third sentence as shown below:

"The example described in this paragraph and shown in table 122 is not a
normative part of this standard. This
example of a complete device identification VPD page assumes that the product
is a direct-access device with an
T10 Vendor ID of "XYZ_Corp", a product identification of "Super Turbo
Disk", and a product serial number of
"2034589345". Furthermore, it is assumed that the manufacturer has been
assigned a 24-bit Canonical IEEE company_id of
01ABCDh by the IEEE Registration Authority Committee and that the manufacture
has assigned a 24-bit
extension_identifier of 234567h to this logical unit. The combined 48-bit
identifier is reported in the 64-bit format as
defined by the IEEE 64-bit Global Identifier (EUI-64) standard. The data
returned in the device identification VPD
page for this logical unit is shown in table 122."
Bye for now,
George Penokie

Dept EGB  114-2 N212
E-Mail:    gop at us.ibm.com
Internal:  553-5208
External: 507-253-5208   FAX: 507-253-5208
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com