Clarification on CD-DA bit of Mode Page 2A hex

Devon Worrell worrell at dt.wdc.com
Tue Jan 27 11:06:58 PST 1998

* Devon Worrell <worrell at dt.wdc.com>
*
Hi,

Here is my two cents worth (maybe only 1.5 cents). The only command
that has been "Standardized" is the READ CD command. The READ CD-DA
command does not exist except in some SCSI drives. I know that Sony
has had this command for some time, but it did not make it into
the standard, thus the bits must refer to the standard in which they
appear.

The CD-DA support refers to JUST the READ CD and READ CD MSF commands,
which both must be supported. If the drive can find the same data
twice then the ACCURATE bit can also be set. Note that in the future
with MtFuji-2, MtFuji-3 and MMC-2 (Assumed) that the READ CD and the
ACCURATE bits are both mandatory.

Perhaps the name/wording could be changed to indicate that a drive that
reports 0 in the CD-DA Commands Supported bit may support audio reading,
but not using the READ CD command. e.g. Byte 5, Bit 0, AudioRead, if
this bit is set to 1, the logical unit shall be capable of reading Audio
Sectors when the READ CD and READ CD MSF commands specify returning 2352
bytes of data with an audio sector address.

Thanks,

At 9:33 AM -0800 1/27/98, Dennis Pak wrote:
>To MMC members,
>
>I would like to get a clarification on the CD-DA supported bits (Byte 5,
>bits 0 and 1) of
>CD Capabilities and Mechanical Status Page (2A hex).
>
>Here is the current description:
>Byte 5, Bit 0, CD-DA Commands Supported, audio can be read using the
>READ CD command.
>Byte 5, Bit 1, CD-DA Stream is Accurate, indicates that the drive
>supports an advanced
>feature that allows it to return to an audio location without losing
>place to continue the
>READ CD command.
>
>The fundamental question is 'should the bits 0 and 1 be set if the
>features are supported,
>but without the READ CD command support?'  For instance, the CD-DA
>support is provided via
>the 'READ CD-DA' command.
>
>Your clarification on this matter would be appreciated.
>Thanks,
>
>Dennis Pak
>Sony Electronics

Devon,

   _/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/    _/      _/ | Devon B. Worrell <worrell at dt.wdc.com>
  _/      _/  _/      _/  _/      _/  | Senior Staff Engineer
 _/      _/  _/_/_/_/    _/  _/  _/   | Interface Technology
_/      _/  _/       _/ _/_/_/_/_/    | Western Digital Corporation
/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/_/  _/      _/     | 8105 Irvine Center Dr
				      | Irvine CA, 92618
				      | Ph: (714) 932-7042 Fax: (714) 932-8806

"Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first it is
 ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident!"

"Not speaking in an official capacity for my employer"

PGP Key Fingerprint = 4D37 E5B5 45FD 66DB 9DDB  1785 F060 6662 E5BA D357

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com