SPI-2 Letter ballot resolution

Kevin Gingerich k-gingerich at ti.com
Mon Feb 16 14:33:22 PST 1998

* Kevin Gingerich <k-gingerich at ti.com>
*
The necessity for specifying a common-mode voltage range is for bus operation
in the presence of noise. Coupled noise is almost always time varying and not a
steady-state voltage. That is why the cable grounds are not a low impedance and
fuses.

Noise is also statistical. There is a finite probabilility that whatever ground
offset voltage range you design your system for, it will be exceeded. The
probability of exceeding the LVD noise voltage tolerance of +/-355 mV is much
higher than the +/-7 V of RS-485.

To my knowledge, there is no statistical sampling of the noise coupling to SCSI
buses that would lead to system requirements. In lieu of that, it seems
advisable to get the most you can out of the available technology.

Kevin Gingerich
Texas Instruments, Inc.

>  From: Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com, on 2/16/98 1:02 PM:
>  * From the T10 (formerly SCSI) Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by: