SPI-3 & Packetized

Bruce Leshay Bruce.Leshay at quantum.com
Fri Dec 11 05:33:50 PST 1998

* Bruce Leshay <Bruce.Leshay at quantum.com>
*

Larry,

	I don't agree that "DT will fail in many existing backplane designs"
- DT is not restricted
to Fast-40 speeds, it can run at whatever speed you negotiate for.  DT at
Fast-10 is not very aggressive
and still has twice the throughput of ST at Fast-10.
	I believe the reason for the decision boiled down to the fact that
everybody has to design major
new hardware to do packetized, and they aren't going to design that hardware
and not put in DT
capability.  So there should be no device that supports packetized but
doesn't support DT, and you should
always be able to negotiate DT down to some speed at which it works.

					Bruce Leshay
					Quantum Corporation

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com