SMART for RBC

Lenny, Tom Tom.Lenny at compaq.com
Wed Sep 24 14:34:13 PDT 1997

* "Lenny, Tom" <Tom.Lenny at COMPAQ.com>

------ =_NextPart_000_01BCC907.B728F500

I support using Test Unit Ready for reporting SMART status.  Here's
the sense data that Compaq specifies for SCSI SMART.

Sense Key  = 0x1
Sense Code = 0x5D

Sense Qualifier  =

				Value		Meaning
		upper nibble:  	0h 		General Hard Drive Failure
				1h 		Hardware impending failure
				2h		Controller impending failure
				3h		Data Channel impending failure
				4h		Servo impending failure
				5h		Spindle impending failure
				6h		Firmware impending failure
				7h - Eh: 	Reserved
		lower nibble:
			        	0h 		General Hard Drive Failure
			        	1h		Drive Error threshold exceeding limits.
			        	2h		Data Error Rate exceeding limits.
			        	3h		Seek Error Rate exceeding limits.
			        	4h		LBA reassignment exceeding limits.
			        	5h		Access Times exceeding limits.
			        	6h		Start Unit Times exceeding limits.
			        	7h		Channel parametrics indicate impending failure
			        	8h		Controller detected impending failure.
			        	9h		Throughput performance
 				Ah		Seek time performance
				Bh		Spin-up retry count
				Ch		Drive calibration retry count
			        	Dh-Eh		Reserved.

Sincerely,
Tom Lenny

Tom Lenny
PC Storage Interface Development

Compaq Computer Corp. 		Phone:	(281) 514-9142
MS 070810			FAX:        (281) 514-0514
20555 SH 249			email:	tom.lenny at compaq.com
Houston, TX  77070