SCSI Harbor (device canister) Meeting

PJohansson at aol.com PJohansson at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 19:32:00 PDT 1997

* PJohansson at aol.com
*
In a message dated 97-09-18 16:50:58 EDT, John.Lohmeyer at Symbios.COM (John
Lohmeyer) writes:

<<Standardize a storage container capable of being used in a broad variety of
storage peripherals (priority being disk drives) in order to lower the cost
and increase the opportunity for SCSI storage component suppliers.>>

John, what is a "SCSI" storage component? Is it parallel SCSI? Fibre channel?
1394? All of them? If the latter, that's a lot to standardize...

If it is, in fact, only one of the interfaces could you be more precise in
terminology?

Some think that the generic term "SCSI" is evolving to mean a particular
command set and not a particular interface. It would help promote clearer
market understanding if we agree on our terminology and not resort to
Humpty-Dumpty's approach, "When I use a word it means exactly what I want it
to mean."

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
3998 Whittle Avenue