Minutes of SBP-2/SBP-2 Device Attach meeting
Pete_Mclean at maxtor.com
Tue Sep 16 12:06:34 PDT 1997
* From the T10 (formerly SCSI) Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
* "Pete Mclean" <Pete_Mclean at maxtor.com>
T10 SBP-2 working group
SBP-2 Device Attachment
Jack Hollins Adaptec
Debkumar De AMI
Aashutosh Joshi AMI
Jeff Wolford Compaq
Peter Johansson Congruent
Dan Colegrove IBM
Darrell Redford Iomega
Gary Brandvold Maxtor
Pete McLean Maxtor
John Fuller Microsoft
Randy Hines Philips
Mark Evans Quantum
Mike Bryan Seagate
Anthony Fung SGS-Thomsom
Jim Msu SGS-Thomson
Dave Evans Symbios
Bryce Leach TI
Jonathan Hanmann WD
Pete McLean called the meeting to order at 9:00 AM.
Pete thanked Unitrode and Paul Aloisi for hosting the meeting.
Everyone introduced themselves.
Pete explained that the meeting was an authorized working group meeting of
T10 and being held under
The charter for the group was reviewed.
Minutes of the previous meeting [T10/97-233r0] were accepted as written.
Action items from the previous meeting were reviewed:
1. Peter Johansson - take modifications to stabalized portion of SBP-2 to
T10 plenary. Carry-over.
2. Pete McLean - revise SBP-2 Device Attachment project proposal amd
forward to T10. Completed.
3. Mike Bryan - new revision of SBP-2 Device Attachment with removable and
CD/DVD annexes. Carry-
4. Pete McLean - insure that new device type be discussed at the joint
SBP-2, MMC-2, SCSI-3 meeting.
5. Peter Johansson - new revision of SBP-2. Completed.
Pete Mclean announced that T13 had adopted the working group
recommendation that the Tailgate
document [D1248r4] be letter ballotted for forwarding to NCITS. The letter
ballot closes September 10.
There was discussion about how to get the correct group of people to
address isochronous issues. This is the
area of SBP-2 that is weakest.
Action - Pete McLean - to address issue in joint meeting on Wednesday.
Printer people want to add another ORB that will have a bi-directional
pipe. Peter Johansson agreed to
make up a proposal for this and will add an example with the proposal.
Peter will bring the proposed
document to the Oct. 7th meeting.
Power up issues - Jeff Wolford stated that Device Bay has decided to allow
no power state changes by
anyone other than the logged in device with correct password. No
additional power may be used prior to
successful login. After some discussion it was concluded that this need
not be addressed in SBP-2 as it will
be delt with in the Device Bay specification.
Page by page review of the annexes in SBP-2 including the new annexes from
STS and clauses 6 through
10 was held. Numerous editorial changes were agreed to and Peter Johansson
will turn a new revision
reflecting these changes. At this time all of SBP-2 except clauses 11 and
12 have undergone editorial
SBP-2 Device Attachment
The draft project proposal for the document prepared by Pete McLean was
reviewed and accepted.
The body of the document, annex A, and a portion of the removable media
annex were reviewed. Two
issues were raised:
1. Are power mode timers required? Jeff Wolford and John Fuller will
investigate this and report back at
the next meeting.
2. Is SMART status polled? Jeff Wolford and Tom Lenny will investigate
this and report back at the next
SBP-2/MMC-2/SCSI-3 joint meeting
The group agreed on four issues to be addressed at the Wednesday joint
1. New device type for devices implementing command set.
2. Proposal to make modifications to SPC-2 to allow SBP-2 devices to be
3. Ability to document all commands other than those in SPC-2 in the SBP-2
Device Attachment document.
4. Invite input on SBP-2 isochronous sections.
New action items
1. Mike Bryan - new rev of SBP-2 Device Attachment
2. Peter Johansson - bidirectional ORB proposal for printers.
3. Peter Johansson - new rev of SBP-2.
4. Jeff Wolford/John Fuller - feedback on power mode timers.
5. Jeff Wolford/Tom Lenny - feedback on SMART polling.
Pete Mclean made the customary call for patents. There were no responses.
October 7 - Irvine, CA - hosted by SSI.
November 3-4 - Palm Springs, CA - hosted by Adaptec
The meeting was adjourned.
* For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com
More information about the T10