Clarification of Web Distribution of Standards (Draft or Approved)

John Lohmeyer John.Lohmeyer at symbios.com
Sat Sep 6 20:18:09 PDT 1997

* John Lohmeyer <John.Lohmeyer at Symbios.com>
*
Peter,

I have no problem with most of the copyright statement and realize it is
mostly what we place on our current documents.

What I object to is the passwords and limitations on web distribution to
committee members only.  This is clearly an attempt to increase revenue by
forcing people to join committees to obtain drafts (or to pay NCITS for
them).  All of the work to enforce this revenue-generating effort will fall
on me and the other people who voluntarily maintain web sites.

Furthermore, these attempts to lock-up draft standards that volunteers
develop do not help the industry that pays the volunteer's salaries.

I think a much better solution to NCITS revenue problems would be to reduce
the expense of operating NCITS (possibly by moving it to a less expensive
location) and by increasing service fees.  NCITS fees are among the lowest
in the standards business.

John

John Lohmeyer                 E-Mail: john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.             Voice: 719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.              Fax: 719-533-7036
Colo Spgs, CO 80907-3444    SCSI BBS: 719-533-7950 300--28800 baud

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com