Some questions

ROWEBER at acm.org ROWEBER at acm.org
Wed Oct 8 14:21:19 PDT 1997

* ROWEBER at acm.org
*

} Firstly, we have defined for ourselves new sense values and would like some
} guidance on what ASC and ASCQ values we should use.  Initially I chose to
} 'extend' the existing assignments e.g. "There is no Network Interface for the
} Virtual Circuit" gives SENSE KEY 0x04, ASC 0x08, ASCQ 0x10.  However closer
} study of the SCSI 3 documents recently aquired show that this may not be
} correct.  Is there a formal route to having new ASC & ASCQ pairs registered
} for consideration as standards?  If not am I correct in assuming that I
} should use ASCQs in the range 0x80 to 0xFF to extend existing ASCs?

You are correct.  You can use ASCQs in the range 0x80 to 0xFF to extend
existing ASCs.

If you wish to have a T10 defined ASC/ASCQ, you need to prepare a written
proposal and send it to the SCSI Working Group.  If you do not have someone
to represent you at the SCSI Working Group, John Lohmeyer or I will do it
for you (but only for ASC/ASCQ requests, anything harder and you must send
a representative to T10).

} Secondly, which document can I find information about the LOGICAL UNIT
} RESET message?  In SIP rev10 8.4.2.3 there is a strong implication that it is
} defined in SAM, yet I can find no reference in SAM rev18 to this message.

Try SPI-2 revision 15 and SAM-2 revision 3.  Both are draft documents and
are available on the T10 web site (www.symbios.com/t10/)

} Thirdly, I have also come across mention of the command REPORT LUNs, where
} is this command documented?

Try SPC (SCSI-3 Primary Commands), also available from the T10 web site.

Best wishes.

Ralph...
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com