Deferred error question

Mark Heath Mark_Heath at notes.seagate.com
Wed May 21 13:57:07 PDT 1997

* Mark Heath <Mark_Heath at notes.seagate.com>
*
Over two months ago, I posed a question regarding deferred error handling.  I
received no responses to this question, so I'm posting it again:

I have a question regarding the deferred error handling rules defined in SPC.

>From SPC Revision 11, section 7.20.3:

If the task terminates with CHECK CONDITION status and
the subsequent sense data returns a deferred error that task shall not
have been executed. After the device server detects a deferred error
condition, it shall return a deferred error according to the rules
described below:

  a) If no external system intervention is necessary to recover a
     deferred error, a deferred error indication shall not be posted
     unless required by the error handling parameters of a MODE SELECT
     command. The occurrence of the error may be logged if statistical
     or error logging is supported;
  b) If it is possible to associate a deferred error with a causing
     initiator and with a particular function or a particular subset of
     data, and the error is either unrecovered or required to be reported
     by the mode parameters, a deferred error indication shall be returned
     to an application client on the causing initiator. If an application
     client on an initiator other than the causing initiator attempts
     access to the particular function or subset of data associated with
     the deferred error, a BUSY status shall be returned to that
     application client in response to the command attempting the access;

My question relates to the last sentence of the above excerpt.  Exactly what is
meant by the term "particular function?"  Is this a generic term that can refer
to any internal resource of the device server?

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com