Locked in cache question -Reply -Reply

Bill Casey wjc at advstor.com
Fri May 9 07:54:04 PDT 1997

* Bill Casey <wjc at advstor.com>
*
At 08:18 AM 5/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>* From the SCSI Reflector (scsi at symbios.com), posted by:
>* skinner at kodak.com (Brent Skinner)

	Since we made caching disk controllers at one time (and might again) I
thought I'd put my 2 cents forward.  I find this discussion of "locking of
disk cache data" as bogus as when it was introduced to the original
committee by DPT years ago.
	The idea of a disk cache is for it to be dynamic and follow the pattern of
usage by the system (whether it is one or more users).  If one wants to
lock data, then lock it in main memory via the application.  Locking data
in disk cache just reduces the capabilities of the cache to handle new
requests; you might as well remove the physical ram that constitutes it.
This "lock" concept is merely a "make-work" idea and not a good one.

Bill Casey
==== SCSI Host Adapters and Target Mode Libraries ====
Advanced Storage Concepts, Inc.     ph: (409) 744-2129
2720 Terminal Drive                   info at advstor.com
Galveston, TX  77554 USA             www.eden.com/~asc
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com