Locked in cache question -Reply -Reply

Brent Skinner skinner at kodak.com
Fri May 9 05:18:28 PDT 1997

* skinner at kodak.com (Brent Skinner)
*
Well, I sat all day looking at pictures on my whiteboard, trying to figure
out how to support such a thing. It's going to take more code, but at least
I won't have to throw away most of what I've done so far.

I'd recommend some wording around this kind of thing in the spec, but
I'm probably the only one that could possibly see it that way.

So, if a host were to do a huge read starting at lba 100 and fill
the cache, then lock the entire contents, followed by a read from
lba 0, do I want to error or throw away some of the locked data in
order to make room for the new information? I'm sure our QA folks are
going to try this.

From: PAT LaVarre
> < I don't know enough about this subject to
> < comment intelligently ... but the subject
> < interests me enough that I'll comment
> < anyhow.
> > From ... (Brent Skinner)
>
> Thanks for your polite attention.
>
> I find your perspective as reasonable as
> mine ... but beyond that I find myself too
> ignorant to add anything further ...
>
> ... I'll be interested to see what in the
> end you decide to do.
>
> Cheers.   Pat LaVarre
> p.lavarre at ieee.org

"You learn all of your life...and die as a fool." -- Old Russian saying.
Brent Skinner                  |   / /      | Eastman Kodak Company
<skinner at kodak.com>            |  / /       | Optical Storage Products
                               | / /        | 460 Buffalo Road
The Eastman Kodak Company      |( (  Kodak  | Rochester, NY 14652-3846
doesn't know what I've written | \ \        |
here, probably doesn't WANT to |  \ \       | Voice: 716-588-0389
know and would, most likely,   |   \ \      | Fax:   716-588-5578
disagree with me anyway.       -----  ------
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com