QUERY LOGINS

PJohansson at aol.com PJohansson at aol.com
Mon Mar 24 16:57:29 PST 1997

* PJohansson at aol.com
*
I'd like to offer the opinion the QUERY LOGINS should be optional within
SBP-2 and leave it to command set profiles or individual device
specifications to specify support.

I have in mind transportable, single-user devices that have no security
considerations. The user expects to exert control over the device by virtue
of having it in her physical possession. I am looking for bare-bones SBP-2 to
convey the commands. In this case, QUERY LOGINS doesn't add value. If the
user is having trouble accessing the device, it may be unplugged and then
reconnected.

For other devices, e.g., disks, mandatory support for QUERY LOGINS is more
readily defended.

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
3998 Whittle Avenue