March SCC-2 Wroking Group Meeting Minutes

George Penokie GOP at
Wed Mar 19 05:59:27 PST 1997

* From the SCSI Reflector (scsi at, posted by:
* "George Penokie" <GOP at RCHVMP3.VNET.IBM.COM>
Accredited Standards Committee
X3, Information Processing Systems
                                                 Doc. No.: T10/97-147r0
                                                     Date: Mar, 11 1997
                                                Ref. Doc.:
                                                 Reply to: G. Penokie

To:       Membership of T10

From:     George Penokie

Subject:  Minutes of T10 SCC Study Group Meeting - Mar 11, 1997


 1. Opening Remarks
 2. Attendance and Membership
 3. Approval of Agenda
 4. Review Report Unconfigured Capacity service action
 5  Review new model section on configurations/service actions
 6. What service actions should be mandatory
 7. When should Unit Attentions be issued
 8. Review remaining changes in SCC-2
 9. Action Items
10. Meeting Schedule
11. Adjournment

Results of Meeting

1.      Opening Remarks

George Penokie convened the meeting at 9:00 am, Tuesday, Mar 11, 1997.
He thanked Skip Jones of QLogic Corporation for hosting the meeting.

This is a joint meeting of the T10 SCSI Controller Commands working group
and the RAB Host Interface working group The purpose of the group is to
deal with interface issues related to using RAIDs.  The study group will
assess the issues and then formulate a strategy for dealing with them.

As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves.  A copy of the
attendance list was circulated for attendance and corrections.

It was stated that the meeting had been authorized by T10 and would be
conducted under the NCITS rules.  Working group meetings take no final
actions, but prepare recommendations for approval by the T10 task group.
The voting rules for the meeting are those of the parent committee, T10.
These rules are:  one vote per company; and any participating company
member may vote.

The minutes of this meeting will be posted to the SCSI BBS and the SCSI
Reflector and will be included in the next committee mailing.

2.      Attendance and Membership

Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum
attendance requirements for T10 membership.  Working group meetings are
open to any person or company to attend and to express their opinion on the
subjects being discussed.

RAID Working Group Meeting Attendees

Attendee          Company             Email Address
----------------  ------------------  -------------------------------
Al Tayler         Adaptec             ataylor at
Paul Massiglia    DEC                 massiglia at
George Penokie    IBM                 gop at
Rod DeKoning      Symbios Logic       rod.dekoning at
Ralph Weber       Symbios Logic at
Dave Wehrman      Unisys              dewehrman at

3.       Approval of Agenda

The agenda presented at the meeting was approved.

4. Review Report Unconfigured Capacity service action

The group reviewed the report unconfigured capacity service action proposal
and agreed it needs to be placed into SCC-2.  No significant changes where

5  Review new model section on configurations/service actions

The group review the new section of the SCC model that describes the
different configuration methods. It was agreed that the list of service
actions needed to support the various configuration methods will be split
into two lists; one list for mandatory service actions and another for
optional service actions.  The complex configuration method name was
changed to general configuration method. Several other wording changes
where agreed to and will be incorporated into rev 1 of SCC-2.

The group discovered there is a need for a new service action to indicate
which configuration method(s) the storage array supports. This new service
action will also indicate if the storage array supports the configuration
change service actions for the indicated configuration method(s).

6. What service actions should be mandatory

All the service actions were reviewed to determine which should be optional
and which mandatory. As a result there will be four classes mandatory
listed in the service actions tables. They will be M, G, S, or B.
M-Mandatory for all configuration method
G-Mandatory for general configuration method
S-Mandatory for simple configuration method
B-Mandatory for basic configuration method
These changes will be incorporated into rev 1 of SCC-2

7. When should Unit Attentions be issued

It was agreed to generate unit attentions on all state changes. Also,
several service actions will be changed to cause unit attentions to other
initiators.  These changes will be incorporated into rev 1 of SCC-2.

8. Review remaining changes in SCC-2

The review the of remaining changes to SCC-2 rev 0 generated no significant

9.      Action Items

-George will prepare rev 0 of SCC. (Complete)
-George will prepare rev 1 of SCC.

10.     Meeting Schedule

The next meeting will be hosted by DEC in Natick, MA at the Crowne Plaza
Hotel on May 06th 9:00AM to Noon.

11.     Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 12 noon.
* For SCSI Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at

More information about the T10 mailing list