Read Element Status question

Brian Moyle moyle at strg.sony.co.jp
Fri Mar 14 11:12:20 PST 1997

* moyle at strg.sony.co.jp (Brian Moyle)
*
I would like to verify something about Data Transfer Elements.

Reading the section on Medium-changer devices in the SCSI-II
specification (X3T9.2/375R revision 10L, 7-SEP-93), I came
across the following quote:

   17.2.5.6 Data transfer element descriptor

   [...]

   The SCSI bus address field, if valid, provides the SCSI address
   (binary representation) of the primary device served by the medium
   changer at this element address.

   [...]

My question is, what is "binary representation"?  I initially thought
this to be SCSI-ID #3 yielding 08h, rather than 03h.  However, for a
device supporting 16 bits, this byte is not sufficient.  So, I now
assume the intent was for SCSI-ID #3 to yield 03h.

Is this correct?

Sincerely,

-Brian
Brian Moyle
Advanced Storage Development/Sony Electronics Inc.
Mail Drop: SJ-3B2
3300 Zanker Road
San Jose, CA 95134-1940
Phone: 408-955-5698