Negotiation On Reselection -Reply

PAT LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Thu Mar 13 06:05:32 PST 1997

* PAT LaVarre <LAVARRE at IOMEGA.COM>
*
> As the Check condition might imply
> power/on reset, we need to renegotiate the
> transfer rates and perform this
> negotiation on the reselection for the
> READ command.

Fun.

Want a question from the peanut gallery
(i.e. from someone who never read anything
about the peer-to-peer capabilities)?

Why doesn't a power-on reset - be it as
innocuously provoked as by an 0Ch Device
Reset message - cancel the READ command and
keep the target from ever reselecting?

(The fact that resets kill off disconnected
stuff is part of why, for ordinary SCSI disk
drives, in vanilla environments, negotiation
occurs only as part of each op 03h Request
Sense auto-issued in response to an 02h
Check Condition status or as part of 12h
inquiry.)

Thanks in advance.   Pat LaVarre

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com