Looking for Specs

Gene Milligan Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Thu Mar 6 00:06:59 PST 1997

* Gene Milligan <Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com>
*
>Can someone please tell me where I can find the latest specifications
>for SMART, SAFTE and SES?

S.M.A.R.T. is the terminology used with the ATA interfaces and has also been
used by marketing folks in conjunction with SCSI. However the SCSI
implementation predated the marketing name.

The related functionality, correctly identified by someone on the reflector
comes under the Information Exception Condition page and the Predictive Failure
additional sense qualifier code along with capabilities of LOG SENSE.

S.M.A.R.T.  was first documented as a SFF specification. SFF specifications are
available by fax back at 408-741-1600.

The S.M.A.R.T.  definition has since been included in the ATA-3 and ATA/ATAPI-4
standards. ATA-3 is available from Global Engineering Documents at
800-854-7179. The ATA-3 and ATA/ATAPI-4 are available for review of the
standards at the X3T13 ftp site x3t13.dt.wdc.com/x3t13
or fission.dt.dtc.com/pub/standards/x3t13.

SAFTE is a proprietary specification which in the standards community has been
replaced by SES. SES can be purchased from Global Engineering Documents at
800-854-7179. SES is also available for review of the standard at the X3T10 ftp
site ftp.symbios.com\pub\standards\io\x3t10\drafts.

Gene Milligan
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com