Persistent Reservation and Reservation Key Uniqueness/non-uniqueness

Bob Snively Bob.Snively at Eng.Sun.COM
Tue Jul 22 09:08:47 PDT 1997

* Bob Snively <Bob.Snively at Eng.Sun.COM>
*
Steve,

For a particular LUN-Initiator pair, there can only be one registered
reservation key. Note that an initiator attached to two ports is really
two LUN-Initiator pairs.  So at least the number does not multiply times the
number of reservations.

However,  there is no rule at present that prevents an initiator from using
a different reservation key for each LUN.  Most will tend not to, since there
is a good probability that the inspection algorithm used by hosts would like
to have only one identifier associated with each of its co-hosts ports, but
the standard does not create such a restriction, and probably should not.

I would suggest that people specify a maximum number of registrations that
can be supported by a LUN as part of their implementation specifications.
On an FC-AL RAID controller, the number may be quite large so that switches
and hubs can be supported for a large number of virtual logical units.

Bob

> * From the T10 (formerly SCSI) Reflector (t10 at symbios.com), posted by:
> * "Steve Sicola...Array Controller Engineering 522-2268"
<sicola at peaks.ENET.dec.com>

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com