Project proposal revision for STS

Pete Mclean Pete_Mclean at maxtor.com
Mon Aug 25 14:16:15 PDT 1997

* "Pete Mclean" <Pete_Mclean at maxtor.com>
*
Gene,
First let me describe in more detail what the document for the project
would contain.

1. SBP-2 contains a number of optional features and functions. This
document will describe which of these are required for each device type.

2. SCSI commands are described in a multitude of documents, e.g., SPC,
SBC, MMC, etc. This document will describe which commands from which
command document are required for each device type and such things as
which mode pages supported.

3. Since the 1394 bus may be attached to a settop box or other attachment
to the outside world, it is felt that certain device types need a method
of "secure login" to prevent someone on the outside from accessing your
data. This document will describe the algorithms for secure login.

4. SBP-2 defines requirements for certain registers and configuration ROM
fields. This document will specify the exact content for each device type.

Now, is it a standard or a profile? In either case its a development
project (Different kinds of white?). It is intended to be normative. Does
that make a difference?

If the issue is simply the name, no one at the meetings is particularly
attached to the title, no one could come up with a better one. I don't
think anyone cares what it's called as long as the resulting document is
normative.

Regards, Pete

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com