SCSI Technology Center (STC) Fall Comdex

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cossymwest.co.symbios.com
Thu Sep 26 08:46:00 PDT 1996

* "Lohmeyer, John" <JLOHMEYE at COSSYMWEST.CO.SYMBIOS.COM>
*

Joe,

This morning I opened my email and found your message along with a
complaint about your message being posted to the SCSI reflector.  The
complaint states that your posting violates the editorial policies of the
SCSI Reflector, which are:

 ..to carry disscussions of SCSI technical issues and to distribute SCSI
standards-related information (minutes, meeting notices, etc.).  The SCSI
reflector is not intended to carry commercial traffic.

Strictly speaking, the complaint is correct.  The conundrum I face is
that this message, while blatantly commercial, dances on the edge of what
I am trying to avoid.  I do not want a flood of product announcements
(there are sooo many SCSI products), which is why we have this editorial
policy.  Also, people get particularly annoyed by the job recruitment
postings we get here from time to time.

Your message fits into a different catagory that we have not previously
addressed: solicitation for SCSI Trade Association membership.  STA's
purpose is to promote the growth of SCSI technology.  The people
subscribed to this reflector (about 650) certainly should not object to
STA's goals even if they choose to not join STA.

Therefore, my inclination is to allow infrequent and discreet postings
|from STA.  I should quickly point out:

1) The subscribers to the SCSI reflector are mostly technical people.
 Solicitations for STA membership on the SCSI reflector may reach the
wrong people.
2) STA already has a reflector for its membership, which it uses
extensively.  Solicitations for membership here would be pointless --
these people are already STA members.

Rather than spend more reflector bandwidth on this topic, I'd like to
request that those who have additional comments, send them directly to me
(john.lohmeyer at symbios.com).  I'll post a summary to the reflector.

John
John Lohmeyer                 E-Mail: john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.             Voice: 719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.              Fax: 719-533-7036
Colo Spgs, CO 80907-3444    SCSI BBS: 719-533-7950 300--14400 baud

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com