Ignore Wide Residue message

Brian A Berg bberg at bswd.com
Fri Sep 20 11:48:16 PDT 1996

* Brian A Berg <bberg at bswd.com>
*
With regard to Gerry's response to whether IGNORE WIDE RESIDUE is mandatory,
the idea that the initiator has to parse the received bytes to determine how
many are valid is not a deterministic process.  Indeed, it would need to be
done by a device driver that would have to be "real smart" about what kind
of data it might ever see, and it would never be able to be certain.

Also, the process of determing how many bytes were written to a tape record,
say, would not be possible.  I personally have had to deal with this issue,
and having IGNORE WIDE RESIDUE implemented was critical to the process.

I don't know what else to say other than to encourage peripheral vendors to
always implement this message on wide devices.

Thank you for your attention.  Any other comments?
  Brian A. Berg           E-mail: bberg at bswd.com
  Berg Software Design     Voice: 408.741.5010
  P.O. Box 3488              FAX: 408.741.5234
  14363 Saratoga Avenue, Suite 200-B
  Saratoga, CA 95070 USA   Focus: software consulting: SCSI, optical storage
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com