When can devices report SCSI-3 compatibility?

Gene Milligan Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Thu Sep 19 13:01:16 PDT 1996

* Gene Milligan <Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com>
*
While I have always objected to the reporting requirement and proposed a better
method, the INQUIRY command is quite clear on the requirement.

However Gerry has inadvertently written what he thought the requirement was
rather than what it is.

SPC states "3h The device complies to this standard." Therefore if you conform
to SPC you should report 3h. The point at which you report 3h is up to the
implementor not the publisher.

The better method I referred to was the proposal to provide words that allowed
the implementor to report which standards were conformed to including the
revision used (similar to the method in the ATA standard). While it's not
likely this would be quickly used, it could be handy for resolving
interoperability issues and have significantly more meaning than "SCSI-3
compatibility".

Gene
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com