Minutes of Sept. SCC-2 Study Group Meeting

George Penokie GOP at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.COM
Tue Sep 17 12:15:05 PDT 1996


* From the SCSI Reflector (scsi at symbios.com), posted by:
* "George Penokie" <GOP at RCHVMP3.VNET.IBM.COM>
*
Accredited Standards Committee
X3, Information Processing Systems
                                                 Doc. No.: X3T10/96-248r0
                                                     Date: Sept, 10 1996
                                                  Project:
                                                Ref. Doc.:
                                                 Reply to: G. Penokie

To:       Membership of X3T10

From:     George Penokie / Ralph Weber

Subject:  Minutes of X3T10 SCC Study Group Meeting -Sept 10, 1996



AGENDA

1. Opening Remarks
2. Attendance and Membership
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Report on status of the SCC-2 project proposal
5. High level SCC commands (Rod DeKoning)
6. High level SCC commands (96-228r0)
7. Simplification of SCAL configurations (96-196r1)
8. SCC-2 proposals (96-164r2)
9. Action Items
10. Meeting Schedule
11. Adjournment

Results of Meeting

1.      Opening Remarks

George Penokie convened the meeting at 9:00 am, Tuesday, Sept 10, 1996.
He thanked Charles Monia of DEC for hosting the meeting.

This is a joint meeting of the X3T10 SCSI Controller Commands working
group and the RAB Host Interface working group The purpose of the group is
to deal with interface issues related to using RAIDs.  The study group will
assess the issues and then formulate a strategy for dealing with them.

As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves.  A copy of the
attendance list was circulated for attendance and corrections.

It was stated that the meeting had been authorized by X3T10 and would be
conducted under the X3 rules.  Working group meetings take no final
actions, but prepare recommendations for approval by the X3T10 task group.
The voting rules for the meeting are those of the parent committee, X3T10.
These rules are:  one vote per company; and any participating company
member may vote.

The minutes of this meeting will be posted to the SCSI BBS and the SCSI
Reflector and will be included in the next committee mailing.

2.      Attendance and Membership

Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum
attendance requirements for X3T10 membership.  Working group meetings are
open to any person or company to attend and to express their opinion on the
subjects being discussed.

RAID Study Group Meeting Attendees

Attendee          Company             Email Address
----------------  ------------------  -------------------------------
A. Taylor         Adaptec             ataylor at corp.adaptec.com
Edward Fong       Amdahl              esf10 at amail.amdahl.com
Paul Massiglia    DEC                 massiglia at genral.enet.dec.com
Mark Lippitt      EMC                 lippitt_mark at isus.emc.com
Dal Allan         ENDL                dal_allen at micmail.com
Ruben Yomtoubian  Hitachi             r_yomtoubian at hitachi.com
Bill Hutchison    HP                  hutch at boi.hp.com
George Penokie    IBM                 gop at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Horst Truestedt   IBM                 truestedt at vnet.ibm.com
Rich Groepper     Intellistor/Fujitsu dsgroepper at intellistor.com
Dan Strevey       Intellistor/Fujitsu dstrevey at intellistor.com
Corky Ball        JMR Electronics     corky at jmr.com
Bob Snively       Sun Microsystems    bob.snively at sun.com
Rick Wagner       Stream Logic        richard_wagner at streamlogic.com
Rod DeKoning      Symbios Logic       rod.dekoning at symbios.com
Ralph Weber       Symbios Logic       ralph.weber at symbios.com
Joe Molina        Technology Forums   tforums at ic.manicato.mn.us
Dave Wehrman      Unisys              75122,177 at compuserve.com
Roger Keorese     Veritas             rogerk at veritas.com
Ed Barnes         Xyratex             edbarnes at primenet.com


3.       Approval of Agenda

The agenda presented at the meeting was approved.

4.      Report on status of the SCC-2 standard

The SCC-2 project proposal(96-152r0) was accepted by X3T10.

5.      High level SCC commands (Rod DeKoning)

Rod presented a proposed list of simplified volume creation parameters.
The group discussed each proposed parameter.

Much discussion was devoted to developing a way of representing RAID to
unsophisticated users. Many suggestions were made for changes to Rods
proposal as a result of this discussion.

Rod will incorporate the recommends into a revised document.

6.      High level SCC commands (96-228r0) Penokie

George presented a proposal for a simplified volume configuration that was
similar to Rods.  After describing the proposal the group agreed to merge
the two proposals into a single proposal that would incorporate the ideas
and parameters of both proposals.

The combined high level command would include the following ideas:
-Enough information to allow a SCAL to configure a volume set
-Enough information to allow a SCAL to configure a redundancy group
-The ability to use existing redundancy groups
-Application specific information which my be used by the SCAL in the
configuration of volume sets.

7.      Simplification of SCAL configurations (96-196r1)

George showed the changes that resulted from the last meetings discussions.
It was agreed not to work on this proposal until the other simplification
issues have been resolved.

8.      SCC-2 proposals (96-164r2)

The was not discussed.


9.      Action Items

-George and Rod will develop a combined proposal for a simplified command

10.     Meeting Schedule

The next meeting will be hosted by Adaptec in Palm Springs, CA at the
Hyatt Regency Suites on November 5 9:00AM to Noon.

11.     Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 12 noon.
*
* For SCSI Reflector information, send a message with
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com




More information about the T10 mailing list