FDD SCSI Definition Error

Kenny - 223-6720 - PKO3-2/T25 house at wrksys.enet.dec.com
Wed Sep 4 05:34:00 PDT 1996

* Kenny - 223-6720 - PKO3-2/T25 <house at wrksys.ENET.dec.com>
*
    to:   SCSI Reflector
    from: Kenny House - Digital Equipment Corporation
    re:   FDD SCSI Definition Error (Gene Milligan)

    > Are there any SCSI FDD implementors that know what FDD drives
    > actually did?

    Digital Equipment Corporation, with Design Analysis Associates, built a
    couple of SCSI-FDI adapter cards for use in our VAXstations and
    TURBOchannel-based Alpha workstations.

    It appears that you're referring to the Flexible Disk Page (page code
    5), and the Pin 4 field in byte 27, bits 7:4.

    We used a value of 0000b to indicate that pin 4 was open and not used
    by the controller.  In hindsight, I suspect we noticed the error in the
    table (this was from draft specs), and decided to do the right thing.
    It helps that we controlled the drivers in the operating systems used
    on those machines (OpenVMS and Digital UNIX), so everybody used the
    same convention.

 Kenneth A. House                    house at eng.pko.dec.com
 Digital Equipment Corporation
 129 Parker Street - PKO3-2/T25      My opinions are not necessarily
 Maynard MA 01754 USA                shared by Digital Equipment Corporation
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com