SCAM on LDV (round 2)

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cossymwest.co.symbios.com
Fri Oct 25 20:33:00 PDT 1996

* "Lohmeyer, John" <JLOHMEYE at COSSYMWEST.CO.SYMBIOS.COM>
*

Skip and George,

I'll put LVD SCAM on the SPI-2 meeting agenda for Monday Morning.  I
meant to put the agenda out today but got interrupted by events at work.
 It should go out Monday.

And yes, it is not immediately obvious that SCAM works with LVD.  I think
there is a perception that SCAM cannot work with differential because
there are no HVD SCAM implementations.  This was because the pin count is
just too expensive with external transceivers -- not a fundamental
problem with differential.

My response to George was delayed while I got confirmation that we
actually supported SCAM in our part.  For me, the most non-obvious
question is what happens when all those current-mode LVD drivers are all
asserting at the same time.  It seems like the receivers will see a large
voltage -- they do, but it is not a problem.

John

PS: George: Sorry if I sounded arrogant.  Skip: Are we really 6 months
ahead of you guys?  ;-)

John Lohmeyer                 E-Mail: john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.             Voice: 719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.              Fax: 719-533-7036
Colo Spgs, CO 80907-3444    SCSI BBS: 719-533-7950 300--14400 baud

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com