SCSI Technology Center (STC) Fall Comdex

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cossymwest.co.symbios.com
Sat Oct 5 10:46:00 PDT 1996

* "Lohmeyer, John" <JLOHMEYE at COSSYMWEST.CO.SYMBIOS.COM>
*

I promised to post a summary of the email I received regarding the
appropriateness of Joe Molina's posting to the SCSI Reflector regarding
the availability of table space at the SCSI Technology Center at Fall
Comdex.  Being an election year, I'd say apathy won by a landslide.

I received three comments:

1) Skip Jones (commenting on my posting to Joe Molina):

"Really well said!  Good job."

2) Ed Gardner:

"If Joe's message had been a solicitation for STA membership, then I
wouldn't have said anything.  I wouldn't have minded a line stating that
an
option on a table at Comdex was an added benefit of membership.

But this wasn't a STA membership solicitation.  It was (and I just
re-read
it to be sure) a very blatent promotion of a Comdex table.  The mention
of
STA membership was incidental ("You also need..."), mentioned as an aside
to the main point ("There are only 3 unassigned tables...you need only
show
up with your products and literature.").  This was a Comdex space sales
ad,
not a STA membership solicitation.  And it was expressed with all the
shrill tones of a carnival barker.

Quite frankly I would rather see product announcements than this.
 Product
announcements at least have some interest to a technical audience, this
has
none.  STA has a reflector, that's the correct audience for flogging
Comdex
space, not the SCSI reflector."

3) Joe Molina:

"Sorry to cause you trouble, John. Your views coincide with mine. Whether
or
not a SCSI company is a STA member, the STA and the STC at Comdex help
all
SCSI companies. Additionally, STC participation is a good idea,
especially
for small companies who could not ordinarily afford to be at Comdex. Even
though one's responsibilities in a SCSI company may be technical,
employees
should have a sufficiently broad enough view to recognize that if it's
good
for their company, it's good for them. I'll check with you the next time
contemplate using the SCSI Reflector for this sort of message - don't'
want
to irritate anyone. You may send this to people if you wish."

Hopefully, enough said.

John

John Lohmeyer                 E-Mail: john.lohmeyer at symbios.com
Symbios Logic Inc.             Voice: 719-533-7560
4420 ArrowsWest Dr.              Fax: 719-533-7036
Colo Spgs, CO 80907-3444    SCSI BBS: 719-533-7950 300--14400 baud

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com