Proposal to add a new modifier to SCSI Write commands. -Reply

Pat LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Thu Nov 28 10:44:46 PST 1996

* Pat LaVarre <LAVARRE at IOMEGA.COM>
*
> The host gets an unrecovered read error,
> so it will not reassign the block.

Hmmm.

Am I correct to infer that the thinking here
is that any host "should" try to overwrite a
block before reassigning it?

OK, I'll admit this rule - try overwrite
before reassign - is elemental in removal
media, since the unrecovered read may be due
to an abused head in some other drive, or
even transient transport damage, rather than
indicative of media damage proper.

But is this rule generally accepted?

And have we yet written this rule into the
dead forest that is a printed copy of the
text authored by the SCSI committee?

Pat LaVarre

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com