Proposal to add a new modifier to SCSI Write commands.

Gene Milligan Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Tue Nov 26 16:31:51 PST 1996

* Gene Milligan <Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com>
*
Two points relative to the proposal:

 1) I think there should be an additional sense code which clearly identifies
these logical blocks as host induced unrecoverable errors. But I have not yet
thought threw whether or not this distinction can be conveniently implemented.

 2) The statement on the Digital patent sounded a little squeaky. To me it
sounded like it may be possible to not infringe but perhaps with great
difficulty. I appreciate the statement but would prefer that it be accompanied
with a statement that if it is necessary to infringe the Digital patent in
order to comply with the requirements, that Digital will make licenses
available according to the ANSI patent policy.

Beyond that I have previously stated that I welcome the proposal with the usual
concern about having to implement two ways to do the same thing. This way is
better Could we add a new category of commands - Forbidden for READ & WRITE
LONG?

Gene
* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com