Number of Blocks on Optical Memory and Write-Once disks

ROWEBER at acm.org ROWEBER at acm.org
Wed May 29 09:08:35 PDT 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* ROWEBER at ACM.ORG
*
I have noticed that both Optical Memory and Write-Once disk devices use
the Density Code field in the Mode Parameter Block Descriptor.  (See SBC
revision 4.)

This raises the question:

    Do we really want to move the Density Code field from byte 0 to
    byte 4 in the Block Descriptor for Optical Memory and Write-Once
    disk devices?

My recollection is that the Plenary decided to change the Block Descriptor
format for all SBC devices based on the belief that none of them use the
Density Code field.  If that really was the basis for the decision, then the
decision needs to be revisited.

Thanks.

Ralph...