Minutes of March SCC Working Group

Lohmeyer, John JLOHMEYE at cosmpdaero.co.symbios.com
Wed Mar 20 08:19:00 PST 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:

Accredited Standards Committee
X3, Information Processing Systems
                                                 Doc. No.: X3T10/96-142r0
                                                     Date: Mar 12, 1996
                                                  Project: 1047D
                                                Ref. Doc.:
                                                 Reply to: G. Penokie

To:       Membership of X3T10

From:     George Penokie

Subject:  Minutes of X3T10 SCC Working Group Meeting -March 12, 1996


1. Opening Remarks
2. Attendance and Membership
3. Approval of Agenda
4. Report on status of the SCC standard
5. Discussion of SCSI-3 fault tolerant controller configurations proposal
6. SCC-2
7. Action Items
8. Meeting Schedule
9. Adjournment

Results of Meeting

1.      Opening Remarks

George Penokie convened the meeting at 9:00 am, Tuesday, March 12, 1996.
He thanked Skip Jones of QLogic for hosting the meeting.

This is a joint meeting of the X3T10 SCSI Controller Commands working group
and the RAB Host Interface working group.  The purpose of the group is to
deal with interface issues related to using RAIDs.  The study group will
assess the issues and then formulate a strategy for dealing with them.

As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves.  A copy of the
attendance list was circulated for attendance and corrections.

It was stated that the meeting had been authorized by X3T10 and would be
conducted under the X3 rules.  Working group meetings take no final
actions, but prepare recommendations for approval by the X3T10 task group.
The voting rules for the meeting are those of the parent committee, X3T10.
These rules are:  one vote per company; and any participating company
member may vote.

The minutes of this meeting will be posted to the SCSI BBS and the SCSI
Reflector and will be included in the next committee mailing.

2.      Attendance and Membership

Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum
attendance requirements for X3T10 membership.  Working group meetings are
open to any person or company to attend and to express their opinion on the
subjects being discussed.

RAID Study Group Meeting Attendees

Attendee          Company             Email Address
 ----------------  ------------------  -------------------------------
A. Taylor         Adaptec             ataylor at corp.adaptec.com
Edward Fong       Amdahl              esfi0 at spg.amdahl.com
Ben Monlevu       Box Hill            ben at boxholl.com
Steve Sicola      DEC                 sicola at peaks.enet.dec.com
Charles Monia     DEC                 monia at shd.dbc.com
Doug Hagerman     DEC                 hagerman at starch.enet.com
Tom Coughlan      DEC                 tom_coughlan.zko.mts.dec.com
Bill Dallas       DEC                 dallas at pg.amdahl.com
Ken Jeffries      Dell Computer Corp  ken at volente.us.dell.com
Roger Cummings    DPT                 cummings_roger at dpt.com
Brett Quinn       EMC                 quinn_brett at isus.emc.com
John Hartjen      EMC                 hartjen_john at isus.emc.com
Dal Allan         ENDL                dal_allen at micmail.com
Andy Chen         Fujitsu             achen at fcpa.fujitsu.com
Ruben Yomtoubian  Hitachi             r-yomtoubian at hitachi.com
Bill Hutchinson   HP                  hutch at boi.hp.com
George Penokie    IBM                 gop at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Dan Strevey       Intellistor/Fujitsu dstrevey at intellistor.com
Corky Ball        JMR Electronics     corky at jmr.com
Rick Wagner       Micropolis          richard_wagner at microp.com
Bob Snively       Sun Microsystems    bob.snively at sun.com
Rod DeKoning      Symbios             rod.dekoning at symbios.com
M.W. Jibbe        Symbios             mahmoud.jibbe at symbios.com
Joe Molina        Technology Forums   MCI MAIL: TFORUMS
Dave Wehrman      Unisys              75122,177 at compuserve.com
Ed Barnes         Xyratex/Peer        edbarnes at primenet.com

3.       Approval of Agenda

The agenda developed at the meeting was approved.

4.      Report on status of the SCC standard

The SCC standard rev 6 has comment and will move to X3 for approval.

5.      Discussion of SCSI-3 fault tolerant controller configurations

George Penokie gave a presentation on what commands are available for
determining the physical mapping of devices within SCC devices.  The two
commands described were Inquiry and Report LUN commands.  George also gave
examples of LUN_Ps and LUN_Vs that would be returned for a Report LUNs
command for a sample array configuration.

Next George went on the describe the problem of cross domain component
attachments.  The group agreed there is a requirement to have
components attached across SCSI domains.  To accomplish this the following
needs to be added to SCC.

 -Add bytes to the Logical Unit Discriptor (table 22 Rev 6) to add an
universal identification field.

 -Add bytes to the Component Device Discriptor (table 17 Rev 6) to add an
universal identification field.

 -Add a port type to the Component Device Types field (table 17 rev 6).

 -Add a universal identification on/off bit to table 22 and table 17.

The next issue described was how to define multiple paths to the same volume
set.  The main point was that each volume set should have an universal
identification assigned to it by the SCC device that contains the
configuration of the volume set.

The last issue discussed related to disabling volume sets after being
configured. The disabling is required for systems that would like to
prevent access to redundant volume set configurations by application
clients. To accomplish this the following needs to be added to SCC.

 -Disable volume set service action - This command would contain a list of
universal identifier(s) of the volume sets to be disabled. The LUN_Vs
associated with the universal identifiers of this command would be free to
be configured into another volume set.

 -Enable volume set service action - This command would contain a list of
universal identifier(s) and optionally LUN_V(s) to assign to the volume set
pointed to by the universal identifier.  If there are no LUN_V(s) then the
SACL will assign the LUN_V(s) in a vendor specific manor.

 -Report disabled volume set service action - This command would report the
universal identifier(s) of all disabled volume sets the SACL is aware.


The group discussed what should be done about the above requirements. The
consensus of the group was to request a new project proposal for SCC-2.
The issue of the editor is still open.

7.      Action Items

a)George Penokie will discuss the SCC-2 project proposal at the X3T10
working group and plenary meeting.

8.      Meeting Schedule

The next meeting will be hosted by Adaptec in Ft. Lauderdale at the
Marriott North May 7 from 9:00AM to Noon.

9.      Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 12 noon.

More information about the T10 mailing list