LVD SCSI Common Mode Resistance

Kevin Gingerich S=Kevin_Gingerich%S=Gingerich%G=Kevin%TI at mcimail.com
Mon Jan 22 07:32:00 PST 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* <Kevin Gingerich <S=Kevin_Gingerich%S=Gingerich%G=Kevin%TI at mcimail.com>>

  To  SCSI Reflector   X400

>From  Kevin Gingerich  GING

/pn=scsi/mbx1=scsi at symbios.com/ems=internet/admd=mci/c=us/

Subj  LVD SCSI Common Mode Resistance

Dennis, the relationship I derive for the common-mode resistance of a three
resistor divider is

Rcm = Rdiff/4 x (Vref/Vb -1).

In any case, this only lowers Rcm to 690 ohms, using your inputs. This would
add +/-220 mV of steady-state common-mode voltage to the bus if we continue to
model each receiver input's leakage as a +/-20 uA current source and worst-case
tolerance stack up. (Rcm/2 ohms x Ii Amperes/input x 2 inputs/node x 16 nodes)

The trade off is the maximum allowable driver differential output level that
will keep the bus steady-state voltage between 0 V and 2.5 V. An additional
220 mV of steady-state common-mode voltage subtracts directly from the maximum
differential steady-state output voltage and tightens the spread between the
minimum and maximum output levels. The final determination of Rcm will depend
on what maximum-to-minimum steady-state output voltage range can be held on the
line drivers and the leakage model.

The ac constraint for the terminator common-mode impedance (not resistance)
will depend upon the allowable driver common-mode output voltage and media
common-mode impedance. I suspect that the dc constraint will be the more
stringent.

Regards,
/Kevin/

-********** ORIGINAL MSG RECEIVED ON 01/19/96 AT 17:56 FOLLOWS **********-

-MSG M#=   905025 FR=X400 TO=GING   SENT=01/19/96  05:56 PM
     R#=110 ST=C DIV=0003 CC=00618 BY=X400 AT=01/19/96 05:56 PM