Proposal for IEEE company_id based formats for FC-PH world-wide identifiers

Charles Monia 237-6757 monia at AM.SHRMSG.SHR.mts.dec.com
Tue Dec 17 14:25:49 PST 1996

* Charles Monia 237-6757 <monia at AM.SHRMSG.SHR.mts.dec.com>
*
Hi Larry:

Relative to Bob's FC-PH tutorial, 'Node' is correct. Identifiers only specify
addressable entities that have meaning to a specific protocol layer. In this
case, the Device Server (or correctly, the Logical Unit) is an SCSI entity. As
such, it has no meaning to the FC transport layer.  (ie. the FC transport layer
protocols only deal with communications between FC 'ports' and 'nodes'.).

As stated in Bob's reflector message, the rules for using IEEE identifiers that
apply to SCSI devices are spelled out in the the following documents:

        97-101r0.doc    IEEE tutorial for SCSI use of company_id, frame
        97-101r0.ps     IEEE tutorial for SCSI use of company_id, postscript

Regards,
Charles

Larry Chen wrote:
===========================
> Hi Bob,
>
> Everything in your proposal and tutorial is great except
> there is no way to associate the device server with the node
> in the RAID controller/lun case.
>
> I have just two comments:
> 1. device server should be changed to node.
> 2. add device server and node association feature.
>
> Identification Descriptor - Association field
> Value		Description
> 2		The Identifier field is associated with the node
> 		that received the request.
>
> Is there room to get these two comments into your work?
>
> Best Regards,
> Larry
>
> On Thu, 12 Dec 96 11:23:28 PST  Larry Chen wrote:
> >Hi Bob,
> >
> >Thanks for your reply. I am extremely pleased to see
> >all the hard work being done in this area. Hopefully,
> >we can put this baby to rest once and for all.
> >
> >You wrote in "Draft tutorial for IEEE company_id based SCSI
> >identifiers" that the Fibre Channel login process normally
> >provides an identification of the device server and port using
> >one of the IEEE Fibre Channel formats.
> >
> >I think device server should be replaced with node in the
 > >above statement.
> >
> >Could a RAID controller use the IEEE Registered Extended
> >WWN without the Vendor Specified Indentifier Extension
> >for its node name in the Fibre Channel login process ?
> >
> >I agree that the RAID controller's virtual devices
> >should use the IEEE Registered Extension WWN with the
> >Vendor Specified Identifier Extension at the SPC level.
> >
> >Thanks for your time and consideration in this matter.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Larry

> >identifiers

> >>Larry,
> >>
> >>Fortunately, the SCSI definition includes a length field.  As a
> >>result, you can simply use length field and the identifier of 3
> >>to specify that the format is FC-PH, but that the length is 16 bytes.
> >>The FC-PH NAA then defines for you the precise format of those
> >>bytes.
> >>
> >>The length field is properly defined in the SPC document, but in
> >>some parts of the document is mis-named "page length".
> >>
> >>For reference, see SPC rev 11, page 125, table 109, byte 3.
> >>
> >>Bob
> >>

 > >----------------------------------------------------
> >Larry Chen                 Tel: 408.383.1600 (x116)
> >Maximum Strategy, Inc.     Fax: 408.383.1616
> >801 Buckeye Court       E-mail: larryc at maxstrat.com
> >Milpitas, CA 95035
> >----------------------------------------------------
> >

> *
> * For SCSI Reflector information, send a message with
> * 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com

* Charles Monia, Storage Architecture Group                      *
* Digital Equipment Co.  Internet: charles.monia at shr.mts.dec.com *
* Tel: (508) 841-6757    X400: c=US; a=MCI; o=Digital; ou=SHR    *
* Fax: (508) 841-6100                                            *

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com