FW: Proposal to add a new modifier to SCSI Write commands. -Reply

PAT LaVarre LAVARRE at iomega.com
Tue Dec 3 08:44:29 PST 1996

* PAT LaVarre <LAVARRE at IOMEGA.COM>
*
> How fast are EEPROM prices going down?

UP, they're going UP I tell you.  UP.  Can you
believe it ?!?

Supply and demand.  Nobody knows how to write code
that works.  Nobody knows how to test it.  Now
that tools drive people to read less code than
ever, less of it works than ever.

64K flash ROM prices TRIPLED - yes tripled UP - in
the summer of '94.  Which blew that component out
of the bill-of-materials for a few products I know
of.

ROM embedded in ASIC's are still expensive too,
especially if you try to mix manufacturing
processes - one for the ASIC proper, another for a
flash ROM.

And, of course, addressing more than 64K adds
system cost as the latch that lets you pass 16-bit
addresses across an 8-bit microcontroller bus has
to grow.

(: We haven't yet shipped a $5 drive only because
we haven't yet figured out how to make it. :)

Pat LaVarre

P.S. Can you tell this is a sore point with me?

P.P.S. I'm told the world looks very different if
you're buying megabytes of ROM for something like
an Ethernet-connected interpreter of Postscript.

P.P.P.S. Are we off topic yet?

* 'info scsi' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at symbios.com