LUNs other than 0, the 4GB limit

PAT LaVARRE (PAT LAVARRE) LAVARRE at iomega.com
Thu Apr 4 08:26:29 PST 1996

* From the SCSI Reflector, posted by:
* PAT LaVARRE (PAT LAVARRE) <LAVARRE at IOMEGA.COM>
*
> ... implicit change of media ...
> ... auto-changer ...

Iomega has sold products - though none
currently - that save cost by sharing the
same electronics among multiple removable
disks.

Whenever you talk to a new LUN, the heads of
the last LUN park and the heads of the new
LUN move out on to the media.

> ... file system size restrictions ...

Iomega's current products are bumping up
against the 4GB and 10MB/s limits - shipping
1GB and 6MB/s at $99 a cartridge.

I know we hate using up a whole 32 cluster
cluster to store one byte just because some
idiot somewhere in the system only has 16
bits to count clusters.

I know the RAID people like to hook up a set
of disks and make them look like one.  That
makes 7GB easy - what are they doing?

On the drive firmware end, we've talked
about aliasing media: let LUN 0 see the
whole capacity, let the other LUN's just see
a piece.  Dunno if that would really work
for the host folk or not.

Pat LaVarre