SMC-2000 Meeting Minutes (attendee review)

Skip Jones sk_jones at qlc.com
Mon Oct 23 14:49:37 PDT 1995

Larry and Reflector-ites,

I urge all of you to refer to these activities for the time being as the "SCSI
Marketing Group", as we have NOT decided on a name yet.  Until we have decided
on a name, carelessly trowing around names such as calling this SCSI-2000 have
an unfortunate way of sticking.  Then when we go to change it, all we really
did was confuse people again.

I strongly believe that the last thing we need to do in parallel SCSI is
confuse the market any further.  Shame on us!  We are supposed to be a
marketing group so we above all have NO excuse for confusing the market.

While on the subject, Marketing-101 highlights the danger of of embracing names
of anykind which "date" the product (organization).  While I understand how
people can get caught-up in zowie, whiz-bang, neato names, please take off the
engineering hat long enough to look at this objectively.  SCSI-2000 IMMEDIATELY
dates parallel SCSI to a 5 year product at best and leaves the impression that
2000 is the end.  I do not believe that is the message that we are trying to
convey.  While 2000 may seem like a long enough ways away, it in fact
terminates the perception of migration far too early for what 'should' be our
motivation.  2000 is only four years away.  Pretty weak migration strategy,
huh?

Skip Jones,
QLogic Marketing Manager