Unit Attention and Reservation Conflict
cgibson at sisa.samsung.com
Thu Oct 5 14:14:00 PDT 1995
I checked out the drives that I had on the bench. The IBM and Samsung drives
returned Check Condition-UA on the first command, then a Reservation
on subsequent commands.
The Quantum (XP32150) gave a Reservation Conflict until the reservation was
cleared, then responded with Check Condition-UA.
My personal preference is for the Quantum method, since Reservation Conflict
does have a higher priority...
Subject: Unit Attention and Reservation Conflict
Date: Thursday, October 05, 1995 10:58AM
Based on section 7.9 in SCSI-2 rev 10K (second half of section) it is
to what action the target should take in the following situation.
1. Target has a pending Unit Attention condition for all initiators.
2. Initiator A selects the target, gets the Unit Attn, and then creates a
"normal" reservation (not 3rd party, not "persistent").
3. Initiator B issues a Test Unit Ready to the target and gets the
Conflict (higher priority status as noted in 7.9).
4. Initiator A releases the reservation.
5. Initiator B issues another Test Unit Ready to the target.
Q: Will Initiator B get a Unit Attention OR should the UA condition have
cleared by the TUR which resulted in a reservation conflict?
Alternate question: What do most peripherals do in this situation?
Thanks very much for the help.
More information about the T10