Minutes July 12 MMC Mtg.

RKROBERTS at aol.com RKROBERTS at aol.com
Fri Jul 28 13:23:23 PDT 1995

Accredited Standards Committee*
X3, Information Processing Systems

Doc.No. 	  95_286R0.doc
Date:	   July 22,1995
Project:	   X3T10-1048D	=

Ref. Doc.:   X3T10/94-057
Reply to:     R. Roberts

To:	    Membership of X3T10
From:	    RK Roberts
Subject:	     Minutes of X3T10 MMC  Working Group - July 12, 1995

The charts and documents developed during the meetings are being generate=
and will be available at the next meeting in Sunnyvale at Philips
Semiconductor.  I will also have them on the ftp site at  SYMBIOS.  All o=
these documents will be in Word 6 format..
1.  Opening Remarks
Ron Roberts convened the meeting at 1:00 PM on July 12, 1995.  He thanked=
host, Symbios Logic, for hosting the meeting.

As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves.  A copy of t=
attendance list was circulated for attendance and corrections.

It was stated that the meeting was authorized by X3T10 and will be conduc=
under the X3 rules.  Ad hoc meetings take no final actions, but prepare
recommendations for approval by the X3T10 technical group.  The voting ru=
for the meeting are those of the parent committee, X3T10.  For the ad hoc=
other than straw votes, the voting rules  are:  one vote per participatin=
company. =

It was also stated that the minutes of this meeting will be posted to the=

X3T10 BBS, the SCSI Reflector, the MMC Reflector, the ATAPI Reflector, an=
will be included in the next X3T10 committee mailing.
Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum attend=
requirements for X3T10 membership.  Working group meetings are open to an=
person or company to attend and to express their opinion on the subjects
being discussed.

2.  Attendance and Membership
See attendance attached.

3.  Document Distribution
95-223r2 Functional Requirements

4.   Call for Patents
Ron requested that any patents known to the working group be identified

5.  Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved as presented.

6.0 	Meeting Agenda
     6.1   Review  of SFF 8020 Changes (D. Worrell)
There were ten (10) recommendations for change to the SFF8020 document . =
all of the changes were pertinent to the MMC document. Those that were
reviewed by the members.
Devons presentation: Copy of overhead not provided to editor so it is not=

included in the minutes.
1- vote taken to put READ 12 back into the 8020 rev 2.5. the motion was
approved 9-3
2- needs a new op-code for SCSI Changer,  or  MECH Status & Load/unload.
 consensus is a new opcode is required.....    need one for Mech Status (=

opcode B8 in scsi in primary cmds) and one for Load/unload CD...Embed
Action item: Ron get opcode from Ralph...turns out that opcode conflict d=
not exist but it was discovered that some of the opcodes were wrong..
3- Changer - accepted
Action item - Devon to continue the definition of all bits/fields on page=
4- same as 3
5- no comment =

8- action item:  Bill Mc to provide Devon with a copy of IDC958 to be
reviewed for entry to Annex A...
9- not a MMC issue
10- Action: Ron present to plenary the need for 4 bits to identify the MM=
rev level.. Wg recommends byte 3 of Inquiry Cmd. ...

 6.2   Functional Requirements Doc  (R. Riesch)

Rob Riesch covered action items and flows developed at previous working g=
session (June).

Bill McFerrin presented the following:

parameters:  must include block start address (SLBA) and number of blocks=

(count) to write
assumptions:  it has already been verified that the device is ready with
writable medium present

Query primitive:
To what track does SLBA belong?
Possible answers:
1.  Error, SLBA is too large for the current disc format
2.   Track X

Query primitive:
Does Track X actually exist?
1.  No
2. Yes

Query primitive:
What is status of Track X?
Possible Answers:
1.   Reserved/formatted for audio TAO
2.   Reserved/formatted for data TAO
3.   Reserved/formatted for audio FPR & full
4.   Reserved/formatted for data FPR & full
5.   Reserved/formatted for audio VPR & full
6.   Reserved/formatted for data VPR & full
7.   Reserved/formatted for audio FPR with Y available blocks
8.   Reserved/formatted for data FPR with Y available blocks
9.   Reserved/formatted for audio VPR with Y available blocks
10. Reserved/formatted for data VPR with Y available blocks
Declaration primitive:
Here is the fill byte/patter for data padding (FPR case).

Command Primitive:
Begin a packet write.
     possible error : insufficient space for an additional FP
Command Primitive:
Continue the packet write with the following data.
     possible errors:  write continue time-out               =

				     insufficient space for continuing VP write
Command Primitive:
Terminate the packet write.
     possible error:   write continue time-out


	Returned data format similar to read TOC RAW (FORM 2)

	Send LBA as Parameter
	Returned data list includes:
		Track number to which LBA belongs
		Track Data/Record type
		First LBA in the Track
		Last LBA in the Track
		Smallest writable LBA in Track
	Parameters in CDB:
		Disc recording style: DAO/Incremental
		Number of tracks
	Parameter Block:
		Track Descriptor Block for each track being defined
	CDB Parameters include:
		Recording Type - SAO, TAO, FPR, VPR
		Data Type - Audio, M1, M2NF, M2F1, M2F2, M2MF, N/A
		Special Effects - Automatic Field/Block Generation
		State Of Write:  Start, Continue, Complete, Autoblock Generation Fill
		Start address
		Length in blocks
Charles Yang from MKE was unable to attend but had his action item presen=
by Kent Manabe:

The following is MKE/Panasonic'c contribution for the assignment of "Clos=
Session" in the MMC June 7/8 meeting. Due to the illness, I am unable to
attend the meeting. Could you please distribute it to the MMC member? For=
questions, please direct to my E-mail address. Thanks in advance.

1.  Track status definitions
        Track status can be classified as follows:
- Static status
    1)  Empty reserved Track
         Track is reserved at PMA, but nothing is recorded on the track.
    2)  Partly recorded reserved Track
         Track is reserved at PMA, and part of the track is recorded.
    3)  Incomplete Track
        Track is not reserved at PMA, but part of the track is recorded.
         Only the last track of Session can be Incomplete Track.
    4)  Complete Track
    5)  Blank Area
         'Invisible Track' is not an appropriate expression. We will use
'Blank Area' instead because it is not =

          proper to define as track with no information on track.
- Dynamic status
    6)  During TAO recording for Blank Area
    7)  During TAO recording for Empty reserved Track

2.  Session Status just before receiving 'Complete Session' Command.
Dynamic status does not exist just before Session is closed.  Blank Area =
not included in the Session to be closed.  So Track status which is inclu=
in the Session to be closed just before the Session is closed are 1) ~ 4)=
of the above 1) ~ 7).
Status of Session to be closed can be classified as follows depending on =
status of track included in the session:

Session                Status of Track contained in a Session
Status                     1)             2)             3)              =
-Case A:               non            non             non             at
least 1
-Case B:              at least 1     non             non             non
-Case C:              non             non             at least 1     at l=
-Case D:              at least 1    at least 0     non              at le=
-Case E:              at least 0    at least 1     non              at le=
-Case F:              at least 1    at least 0     at least 1      at lea=
st 0
-Case G:             at least 0    at least 1      at least 1      at lea=
st 0

3.  Closing Session Flow
If an empty reserved track or partly recorded reserved track exists in th=
session just before closing, empty area exist in the area reserved for Tr=
This is out of the standards (i.e. does not allow it), so the empty area =
be padded with meaningless data in accordance with the method described b=
in 3-5.

3-1.  Host requests Session Status being closed to a drive.
The Host requests for status of Session to be closed of a drive.

3-2.  Drive reports Session status to Host.
The drive reports status of the designated session.  In this case, Sessio=
status is one of the above cases A) ~ G).

3-3.  Host accepts session status and requests closing session to drive.
The Host decides depending on the session status whether the session shou=
be closed or not.  It also decides padding is needed or not depending on
empty area.  The Host requests closing session of the drive.  Summary is
given below.
- Case A:  Closing session is possible, Padding is not required.
- Case B:  Closing session is impossible.
- Case C:  Closing session is possible, Padding is not required.
- Case D-G:  Closing session is possible, Padding is required.

3-4.  Drive Action
- Case A:  Drive writes Lead-in & Lead-out.
- Case B:  Drive replies error message to host, and does not write.
- Case C:  Drive checks track length more than 4 second.  If not, drive
replies error message to host.
           Drive does PMA update of Incomplete track.
           Drive writes Lead-in and Lead-out.
- Case D-E:  Drive checks padding is active.  If not, drive replies error=

message to the host.
             Drive does Padding to empty area of Empty reserved Track or
Partly recorded reserved Track.
             Drive writes Lead-in and Lead-out.
- Case F-G:  Drive checks recorded incomplete track length is more than 4=

second.  If not, drive reply =

             error message to the host.
             Drive checks Padding is active.  If not, dirve replies error=

 message to the host.
             Drive does Padding to empty area of Empty reserved Track or
Partly recorded reserved Track.
             Drive writes Lead-in and Lead-out.

3-5.  Outline of drive action
- PMA update
  Drive records Start-Time and Stop-Time of Track designated by PMA.

- Padding empty area of Empty reserved Track
 * write mode : TAO
 * physical format : Drive take the following process depending on the
position of empty area of Empty =

    reserved Track in the session.
  1st Track: Fromat in the same mode as 2nd Track.
  Except 1st Track: Format in the same mode as the preceding track.
 * Pre-gap is 2 sec.

- Padding empty area of Partly recorded reserved Track
 * write mote : The same write mode as already used in this track.
 * Physical Format: The same Physical Format as already used in this trac=
-- Action item presented by Masa Morizumi of Yamaha Corp. --
Host decide:
	* Reserved Length
	* Copy     Copy inhibited
				   Copy permitted
				   SCMS copy
	* TAO      Incremental
				   track at once
	* Mode	   mode 1
				   mode 2
	* Audio/Data

Command :    Reserve Track
	1. Drive calculates:
				start/stop time
				track number ( last track +1)
	2. Drives updates PMA
				(writes 10 blocks in PMA)

start / stop time definition

                                     One Reserved Track
	| <---------------------------------------------------------> |
	| <--- blocks ----> | <----Reserved Length ---> |   | <-- run-out blocks=
	|                          |                                          | =
	|       pregap         |            host data               |   |  =

				               ^                                             ^
 				         start time                                  stop time

6.3   Review any Technology proposals (please provide copies of docs, if =
             No new technology was presented

7.0	New Business

8.0	Review of Action Items
1.  Bill Mc to obtain a letter from Philips to allow the =93 Functional
Requirements for MultiMedia Command Set Document/Model=94 to be published=
allow current licensed companies to discuss these topics...
2.  Ron get opcode from Ralph...Referred to the SMC working group....
3.  Ron present to plenary the need for 4 bits to identify the MMC rev
level.. Wg recommends byte 3 of Inquiry Cmd. ...Presented to plenary on J=
13. No results at this time.
4. Bill Mc to provide Devon with a copy of IDC958 to be reviewed for entr=
y to
Annex A...

9.0	Future Meeting Schedule
Next meeting will be in Sunnyvale, CA,   August 2 & 3. The meeting will b=
hosted by Philips Semiconductor. Check MMC reflector for times and buildi=
Members voted to hold only one meeting in August as there are to many mee=
conficts. The September meeting will be in conjunction with X3 at Manches=
NH. Our normal day is Wednesday of that  week.  See X3T10 Plenary minutes=

|from July meeting.
October  Working Group sessions will be held in Irvine, CA, hosted by Wes=
Digital. The date set for these is Wednesday and Thursday October 4 & 5

10.0	Adjournment
Meeting adjourned at 6PM on July 12, 1995

ATTENDANCE LIST  For July 12,1995

Name	Company	E-mail
Mr. Joe Chen	Cirrus Logic	chen at cirrus.com
Mr. Robert Reisch	Eastman Kodak	reisch at sector.kodak.com
Mr. Rob Sims 	Hewlett Packard	robsims at depeche.lvld.hp.com
Mr. S. Nadershahi	Hitachi Micro Systems	nnadersh at hitachi.com
Mr. Duncan Penman	IIX Consulting	penman at netcom.com
Mr. Chris D=92Lorio	NEC Technology	cd-iorio at nectech.com
Mr. Peter Gossler 	NSM Jukebox Gmbh	73503.3467 at compuserve.com
Mr. Wayne Baldwin	OAK Technology	wayneb at corp.oaktech.com
Mr. Kent Manabe	Panasonic	n/a
Mr. Ted Fujioka	Panasonic	100207.2272 at compuserve.co
Mr. Bill McFerrin	Philips KMG	bill-mc at lms.com
Mr. Kevin Ross	Philips Semiconductor	rossk at scs.philips.com
Mr. Jim McGrath	Quantum Corp	jmcgrath at qntm.com
Mr. Ron Roberts	SIERRA-PAC Technology	rkroberts at aol.com
Mr. Mike Winchell	Symbios Logic Inc.	mike.winchell at symbios.com
Mr. Carl Bonke	Western Digital	bonke at dt.wdc.com
Mr. Jonathan Hanmann	Western Digital	hanmann_j at a1.wdc.com
Mr. Devon Worrell	Western Ditigal	worrell at dt.wdc.com
Mr. Masa Morizumi	Yamaha Corp	mori at lab1.yamaha.co.jp

More information about the T10 mailing list