reflector email headers

Dal Allan 0002501752 at mcimail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:00:00 PST 1995

     TO:  ATA Reflector            NOT SENT TO:  ATAPI Reflector
          Fibre Channel Reflector                SSA Reflector
          HIPPI Reflector                        ESCON Reflector
          SCSI Reflector                         FC-IP Reflector
          SFF Reflector                          Others I forgot I am on....
   FROM:  Dal Allan  (dal_allan at mcimail.com)

In an email over the ATA and ATAPI reflectors, Rick Kalish mentioned a
concern he has with sender identification in the headers. I thought it was
me that had the problem on MCI Mail of not knowing where email was coming
from, but it appears to be more widespread. He also said:

> I hope this does not generate lots of reflector traffic...

Too late, Rick.

Only one reflector tells me it is the source, the FC-AE reflector. This
means that for all the others, one has to guess by content which reflector
the email was distributed over since they show only originator information.
Here are a few examples from today's email to illustrate the point:

   FC-AE                 From:     fc ae
   HIPPI                 From:     BROAD BAND COMMUNICATION PRODUCTS
   SFF                   From:     Trimm Industries
   SCSI                  From:     Bob Snively
   ATAPI                 From:     Neil Sugie
   ATA                   From:     RKalish
   Fibre Channel         From:     roger cummings

This situation makes it difficult to know whether the contents are private
or public. As we are all discrete about private correspondence, the thought
of making a mistake and blasting a reply back to a reflector instead of the
individual should concern everyone.

Might I add my voice to Rick's request? It would be a great improvement if
the writer identified the reflector address(es) being broadcast over as part
of the email, and included his/her name as originator.

This is not being sent to all the reflectors, because this is about as close
to junk email as you can get and I want to irritate the least number of
people (no, I am not mellowing in my old age, but I have just returned from
extended R&R). Yeah, I know, what I am asking is very easy to forget, and I
will probably be amongst the first who fail to follow the suggestion....

Dal
/