X3T10 Minutes 9/15/94 Part 2

John Lohmeyer jlohmeye at ncr-mpd.FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM
Tue Sep 20 17:46:05 PDT 1994

(Continuation of X3T10 minutes from 9/15/94 meeting)

11.   ISO [Milligan]

Gene Milligan, the acting X3T10 International Representative, gave an oral
report and provided the following electronic report:

                             ISO Report
                           September 1994

component committees and in accordance with decisions of the SC 25
meeting, the IR has sent letters to the Secretariat of two of the
IEC committees. The letters indicate that we have no desire to
develop component standards but have practical problems that have
resulted in the documentation they have complained about. For cases
where a component standard does not seem to be available, we will
provide a definition of requirements, including date the standard
is needed, and request that the standard be generated. For cases
where the component standard is available we will simply call it
out. However there are no convenient tools to identify the
existence of the standard. Consequently the IR requested that the
IEC provide us the names and address information for expert contact
points for each of a fairly long list of components.

Relative to the incomplete transfer of the ESDI camera ready copy
to the ITTF, the IR sent a letter to Michelle Maas of ANSI pointing
out the problem and asking for the promised transmittal. The
manager of publications will be back Monday 19 September 1994. Ms.
Maas will address the issue at that time.

12.   Liaison Reports

12.1  X3T11 Liaison Report [Cummings]

Roger Cummings reported on X3T11 activities:

o  91 people attended the August X3T11 Plenary

o  Three member organizations were added, and two lost (one to a
   merger), bringing the membership of X3T11 to 52

o  FC-PH Revision 4.3 & FC-FP Revision 2.2 in X3 Letter Ballots
   closing in September

o  FC-SB Revision 3.3 forwarded for 1PR

o  Discussion on appropriateness of checksums in HIPPI-ATM

o  Work on FC-AL continues in earnest, much progress made in Ad
   Hocs on 8/16 (& 9/8) next revision will be in X3T11 mailing

o  First draft of FC-EP distributed (will eventually include 2 & 4
   gigabaud optical variants, twinax variants, hunt groups,
   striping, unacknowledged multicast, fractional bandwidth
   allocation, 256 level priority, etc.)

o  Line-by line review of FC-SW draft

o  Detailed scope defined for FC-ATM project

o  Active group on Avionics Environment formulating a Project
   Proposal

12.2  SFF Industry Group [Allan]

Berg has agreed to sponsor the 1.x" form factors through EIA. Working groups
on the form factor and connector dimensions under Jay Neer have met and are
expected to provide documentation at the next meeting.

A review of the SCA connector resulted in some updates, including the usage
for DIFFSENS as discussed at the X3T10 plenary meeting in July.

An ATAPI SSWG was held on 8/31, at which all the outstanding issues but one
were settled. The holdout appeared to be resolved over email by a position
expressed by Microsoft.

Bill Ham presented the taxonomy of Very High Density Cabled Interconnects,
and it is presently at letter ballot.

12.3  IEEE P1394 [Marazas]

Larry Lamers reported that the P1394 ballot is delayed.  IEEE will issue only
two ballots per month and part of the file set required to make the ballot
was omitted.  The ballot is expected sometime in October.

12.4  IT8 [Lohmeyer]

No report.

12.5  IEEE P1285 Status [Pak]

Dennis Pak provided a fax and promised an electronic report to be included
in the mailing (see 94-___).  John reviewed the fax for the benefit of the
committee.  Upcoming meetings are October 13 at Apple and November 3 at
Quantum.

John reported that he received minutes from Martin regarding the July joint
meeting and that these should be posted shortly to the 1285 reflector.

12.6  PCMCIA Report [McLean]

Pete McLean gave a verbal report of the most recent PCMCIA meeting.  Meetings
were planned for the following week in Boston.

12.7  AIIM C21 [Podio]

John Lohmeyer reported that he traded voice mails with Fernando.  George
Penokie sent Fernando a request via email.  There were no further actions
reported.

13.   Review of Action Items

26)   Larry Lamers will issue a letter ballot on the SSA SCSI-2 Protocol
      Technical Report X3T10/94-196r0.
27)   John Lohmeyer will authorize Jean Paul to pay the editing invoice from
      Sandy.
28)   John Lohmeyer will authorize Jean Paul to pay the editing invoice from
      Kelly.
29)   Larry Lamers will create a first working draft of the Fast-20 dpANS.
30)   Larry Lamers will revise the SPI based on comments received to date.
31)   Larry Lamers will issue a letter ballot on forwarding SCC revision 3
      to public review.
32)   George Penokie will revise the Log Sense TIB based on comments from
      Gene Milligan.
33)   Larry Lamers will issue a letter ballot on forwarding the Log Sense TIB
      (as revised) to public review.
34)   Larry Lamers will issue a letter ballot on forwarding the Sequential
      Access TIB to public review.
35)   Charles Monia will revise SAM as instructed producing SAM revision 16.
36)   John Lohmeyer will forward SAM revision 16 to X3 for further processing
      toward first public review.
37)   Bob Snively will revised FCP based on the approved proposal from Gene
      Milligan, producing FCP revision 10.
38)   John Lohmeyer will forward FCP revision 10 to X3 for further processing
      toward first public review.
39)   Ron Roberts will revise SBP based on comments from Giles Frazier,
      producing SBP revision 19.
40)   John Lohmeyer will forward SBP revision 19 to X3 for further processing
      toward first public review.
41)   Larry Lamers will issue a letter ballot for approval of Gene Milligan's
      procedures proposal.
42)   John Lohmeyer will forward the ATA-3 project proposal to X3 for further
      processing.

14.   Meeting Schedule

The next plenary meeting of X3T10 will be November 10-11, 1994, in Palm
Springs, CA, at the Hyatt Regency Suites Hotel (619-322-9000), hosted by
Western Digital.  The meeting will begin at 1:00 pm on Thursday and at 8:30
am on Friday (if necessary).

The meeting list for the next plenary week is:

                           November '94 Meeting Map

Sunday 11/6        9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
                                       +=======================+
                                       | SSA electrical I/F    |  (25)
                                       +=======================+

Monday 11/7        9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
                   +===========================================+
                   +===============================+-----------+
                   +================+==============+-----------+
                   | XOR commands SG|  MMC WG      |              (20)
                   +================+==============+

Tuesday 11/8       9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
                   +===========================================+
                   +===========================================+
                   +===============+===========================+
                   |SCC & RAB Mtg  |                                (40)
                   +===============+

Wednesday 11/9     9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9
                   +===============================================+
                   +===============================+===============+
                   | SFF Form Factor WG            |                  (10)
                   +-------------------------------+

Thursday 11/10     9   10  11  12  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9
                   +===============+===============================+
                   +===============+===============================+
                   | SSC/SMC WG    |                                  (10)
                   +===============+

Friday 11/11   8   9   10  11  12
                 +--------------+
                 | SFF          |                                 (80)
                 +--------------+

    Meetings marked with == are X3T10-authorized meetings.
    Meetings marked with -- are authorized by other groups and may change
    without notice.

Meeting Map Abbreviation Key:
ATA:              AT Attachment (a.k.a. IDE)
CAM:              Common Access Method
El:               Electrical
Fast-20:          Synchronous Data Transfer at 20 Megatransfers/second
I/F:              Interface
LB:               Letter Ballot
MMC:              SCSI-3 Multimedia Commands (CD-ROM)
P1394:            IEEE Project on High Performance Serial Bus (not an X3
                  activity)
Plenary:          Full Committee Meeting
RAB:              RAID Advisory Board (not an X3 activity)
RAID:             Redundant Array of Independent Devices
SCC:              SCSI-3 Controller Commands (RAID)
SFF:              Small Form Factor Industry Group (not an X3 activity)
SG:               Study Group
SPI2:             Second Generation SCSI-3 Parallel Interface
SSA:              Serial Storage Interface
SSP:              Serial Storage Protocol (Protocol for SSA)
UIG:              User Interest Group (not an X3 activity)
WG:               Working Group (same as Ad Hoc Group)
X3T10:            Lower Level Interfaces Technical Committee (was X3T9.2)
X3T10.1:          SSA Task Group of X3T10 (was X3T9.7)
XOR:              Exclusive OR

Several other X3T10 events are also planned:
Event                           Day/Date   Time      Location/contact
------------------------------- ---------  --------- -----------------------
ATA Working Group               Tue  9/27  9:30a-5p  Milpitas/McGrath
ATA Working Group               Wed  9/28  9a - 4p   Milpitas/McGrath
ATA Working Group               Thu 10/20            Milpitas
ATA Working Group               Fri 10/21            Milpitas

For more information about X3T10 activities, please contact the following
people:

Activity                     Contact        Telephone/Email
---------------------------- -------------- ------------------------------
ATA-2                        Steve Finch    (714) 573-6808
                                            5723283 at mcimail.com
CAM                          Bill Dallas    (603) 881-2508
                                            dallas at wasted.enet.dec.com
SAM                          Charles Monia  (508) 841-6757
                                            monia at starch.enet.dec.com
ATA, SPI, SCSI-2, Fast-20    Larry Lamers   (408) 432-4776
                                            lamers at aol.com
SIP                          Duncan Penman  (408) 894-0800 x35
                                            penman at netcom.com
SSA-PH                       Edward Gardner (719) 548-2247
                                            gardner at acm.com
SSP                          John Scheible  (512) 823-8208
                                            Scheible at vnet.ibm.com
FCP                          Robert Snively (415) 336-5332
                                            Bob.Snively at eng.sun.com
GPP                          Gary Stephens  (602) 321-1725
                                            6363897 at mcimail.com
SBP                          Ron Roberts    (408) 432-4322
                                            rkroberts at aol.com
SPC                          Ralph Weber    (603) 881-1497
                                            weber at star.enet.dec.com
SBC                          Thomas Tewell  (415) 459-7978
                                            thomas.tewell at seqadvtech.com
SSC                          Edward Lappin  (303) 447-7718
                                            tedl at exabyte.com
SMC                          Erich Oetting  (303) 673-2178
                                            Erich_Oetting at Stortek.com
MMC                          Norm Harris    (408) 945-8600 x2230
                                            nharris at adaptec.com
SCC                          George Penokie (507) 253-5208
                                            gop at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Other Activities             John Lohmeyer  (719) 573-3362
                                            john.lohmeyer at ftcollinsco.ncr.com

The long-term X3T10 meeting week schedule is:

Date             Location                  Host/Comments
---------------  ------------------------  --------------------------
Nov  7-11, 1994  Palm Springs, CA          Western Digital
Jan  9-13, 1995  Lake Tahoe, NV            SSI
Mar  5-10, 1995  Newport Beach, CA         QLogic
May  7-12, 1995  Harrisburg, PA            AMP
Jul  9-14, 1995  Colorado Springs, CO      NCR Microelectronics
Sep 10-15, 1995  Manchester, NH            Digital
Nov  5-10, 1995  Southern CA               Western Digital
Jan  8-12, 1996
Mar 11-15, 1996
May  6-10, 1996
Jul 15-19, 1996
Sep  9-13, 1996
Nov  4- 8, 1996

14.1  Authorization of Working Group Meetings

John noted that the working group meetings are required to operate under the
same voting procedures as does X3T10 (that is, one vote per organization) and
the results of a working group are not binding on the parent committee.  This
later requirement is why we have traditionally only used non-binding straw
polls in working group meetings.  Any issue where the voting rules would make
a difference is automatically deferred to the plenary group.

Skip Jones moved and Jim McGrath seconded that X3T10 authorize the X3T10-
related meetings and events in the list above.  The motion passed
unanimously.

15.   Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 8:29 p.m. on Thursday September 15, 1994.

                       Meeting Attenders -- Enclosure (1)

         Name          S        Organization         Electronic Mail Address
---------------------- -- ------------------------- -------------------------
Mr. Rick Heidick       A  3M Company
Mr. Norm Harris        P  Adaptec, Inc.             nharris at eng.adaptec.com
Mr. Richard Kalish     A  Adaptec, Inc.             rkalish at aol.com
Mr. Lawrence J. Lamers A# Adaptec, Inc.             ljlamers at aol.com
Mr. David Wang         P  Advanced Micro Devices    david.wang at amd.com
Mr. Neil T. Wanamaker  P  Amdahl Corp.              ntw20 at eng.amdahl.com
Mr. Edward Fong        O  Amdahl Corp.              esf10 at amail.amdahl.com
Mr. Charles Brill      P  AMP, Inc.                 cebrill at amp.com
Mr. Michael Wingard    A  Amphenol Interconnect
Mr. Ken Scherzinger    V  Amphenol Spectra Strip
Mr. Gary Porter        A  Ancot Corp.               garyp at ancot.com
Mr. Dave Thayer        V  Areal Technology
Mr. John Lohmeyer      P  AT&T/ NCR                 john.lohmeyer at ftcollinsco
                          Microelectronics          .ncr.com
Mr. Jason Albanus      P  Burr-Brown Corp.          Albanus_Jason at bbrown.com
Mr. Joe Stoupa         A  Burr-Brown Corp.          Stoupa_Joe at bbrown.com
Mr. Steven Ramberg     A  BusLogic                  stever at buslogic.com
Mr. Ian Morrell        P  Circuit Assembly Corp.    crctassmbl at aol.com
Mr. Joe Chen           P  Cirrus Logic Inc.         chen at cirrus.com
Mr. Nicos Syrimis      A  Cirrus Logic Inc.         nicos at cirrus.com
Mr. Edward Haske       P  CMD Technology
Mr. Bill Galloway      P  Compaq Computer Corp.     billg at bangate.compaq.com
Mr. Peter Johansson    P  Congruent Software, Inc.  pjohansson at aol.com
Mr. Timothy Feldman    A  Conner Peripherals        Tim.Feldman at conner.com
Mr. Louis Grantham     P  Dallas Semiconductor      grantham at dalsemi.com
Mr. Charles Monia      P  Digital Equipment Corp.   monia at starch.enet.dec.com
Mr. William Dallas     A# Digital Equipment Corp.   dallas at wasted.enet.dec.co
Dr. William Ham        A# Digital Equipment Corp.   ham at subsys.enet.dec.com
Mr. Douglas Hagerman   A# Digital Equipment Corp.   hagerman at starch.enet.dec.
                                                    com
Mr. Ralph Weber        A# Digital Equipment Corp.   weber at star.enet.dec.com
Mr. Edward A. Gardner  A  Digital Equipment Corp.   gardner at acm.com
Mr. I. Dal Allan       P  ENDL                      2501752 at mcimail.com
Mr. Kenneth J. Hallam  A  ENDL                      khallam at endlas.com
Mr. Edward Lappin      P  Exabyte Corp.             tedl at exabyte.com
Mr. David Andreatta    A  Exabyte Corp.
Mr. Nick Ladas         P  Foxconn
Mr. Gary R. Stephens   P  FSI Consulting Services   6363897 at mcimail.com
Mr. Mark Woithe        P  Future Domain Corp.       markw at fdc.mhs.compuserve.
                                                    com
Mr. Jeffrey L.         P  Hewlett Packard Co.       jlw at hpdmd48.boi.hp.com
Williams
Mr. David McFadden     P  Honda Connectors
Mr. George Penokie     P  IBM Corp.                 gop at rchvmp3.vnet.ibm.com
Mr. John P. Scheible   A  IBM Corp.                 Scheible at vnet.ibm.com
Mr. Giles Frazier      O  IBM Corp.                 gfrazier at ausvm6.vnet.ibm.
                                                    com
Mr. Ken Cummings       O  IBM Corp.                 kcummings at vnet.ibm.com
Mr. David Lawson       P  Interphase Corp.          lawson at iphase.com
Mr. Gary Brandvold     A  Iomega Corp.              gdbrandv at iomega.com
Mr. Dean Wallace       P  Linfinity Micro
Mr. Ron Roberts        P  Maxtor Corp.              rkroberts at aol.com
Mr. Pete McLean        A  Maxtor Corp.              pete_mclean at maxtor.com
Mr. Bob Masterson      P  Methode Electronics, Inc.
Mr. Chris Nieves       O  Micropolis Corp.          Chris_Nieves at microp.com
Mr. Ken Erickson       V  Micropolis Corp.          kerickson at microp.com
Mr. Joe Dambach        P  Molex Inc.

Mr. Jay Neer           O  Molex Inc.                jneer at usa.molex.com
Mr. Robbie Shergill    P  National Semiconductor    rss at berlioz.nsc.com
Mr. Mike Hetzel        A  Oak Technology, Inc.      mikeh at corp.oaktech.com
Mr. Stephen F. Heil    P  Panasonic Technologies,   sfh at research.panasonic.co
                          Inc                       m
Mr. Skip Jones         P  QLogic Corp.              sk_jones at qlc.com
Mr. James McGrath      P  Quantum Corp.             JMCGRATH at QNTM.COM
Mr. Gene Milligan      P  Seagate Technology        Gene_Milligan at notes.seaga
                                                    te.com
Mr. Thomas 'Rick'      O  Sequoia Advanced Tech.,   thomas.tewell at seqadvtech.
Tewell                    Inc.                      com
Mr. Stephen G. Finch   P  Silicon Systems, Inc.     5723283 at mcimail.com
Mr. Scott Smyers       P  Sony Corp. of America     scotts at lsi.sel.sony.com
Mr. Masataka Ogawa     V  Sony Electronics, Inc.    masataka_ogawa at dss.sel.so
                                                    ny.com
Mr. Erich Oetting      P  Storage Technology Corp.  Erich_Oetting at Stortek.com
Mr. Roger Cummings     A  Storage Technology Corp.  Roger_Cummings at Stortek.co
Mr. Patrick Mercer     P  SyQuest Technology Corp.  74754.1370 at compuserve.com
Mr. Pete Tobias        A  Tandem Computers          tobias_pete at tandem.com
Mr. Harvey Waltersdorf P  Thomas & Betts
Mr. Yas Hashimoto      V  Toshiba America Info.
                          Sys.
Mr. Gary M. Watson     V  Trimm Industries          trimm at netcom.com
Mr. Peter Dougherty    P  UNISYS Corporation        peter.dougherty at unisys.mv
                                                    -oc.com
Mr. Paul D. Aloisi     P  Unitrode Integrated       Aloisi at uicc.com
                          Circuits
Mr. Tom Hanan          A# Western Digital           hanan_t at a1.wdc.com
                          Corporation
Mr. Tak Asami          A  Western Digital           asami at dt.wdc.com
                          Corporation
Mr. Doug Piper         P  Woven Electronics         WOVEN ELECTRONICS / MCI
                                                    ID: 549-9900
Mr. Duncan Penman      P  Zadian Technologies       penman at netcom.com

76 People Present

Status Key:  P    -  Principal
             A,A# -  Alternate
             O    -  Observer
             L    -  Liaison
             V    -  Visitor
--
John Lohmeyer                      E-Mail:  John.Lohmeyer at FtCollinsCO.NCR.COM
NCR Microelectronics                Voice:  719-573-3362