MAY 94 CAM Working Group Minutes.

Bill Dallas dallas at zk3.dec.com
Mon Jun 27 19:52:09 PDT 1994

Minutes for CAM working group 05/16/94
Accredited Standards Committee
X3, Information Processing Systems
						     Doc. No.: X3T10/
						     Date: May 17, 1994
						     Project: CAM
						     Ref. Doc.: X3T10/792D-R7

To:         Membership of X3T10

From:       William Dallas

Subject:    Minutes of CAM Working Group Meeting
	    May 16, 1994

				     Agenda

 1.    Opening Remarks
 2.    Attendance and Membership
 3.    Approval of Agenda
 4.    Report on changes made on the document from Revision 6 to Revision 7.
 5.    Soft Reset Proposal from Gary Stephens
 6.    Review of the Revision 7 of the CAM document.

				Results of Meeting

1.    Opening Remarks

William Dallas the Editor of the CAM document, called the meeting to order
at 9:15 am, Monday, 16 May 1994.  He thanked AMP for hosting the meeting.

As is customary, the people attending introduced themselves.  A copy of the
attendance list was circulated for attendance.

It was stated that the meeting had been authorized by X3T10 and would be
conducted under the X3 rules.

The minutes of this meeting will be posted to the SCSI BBS and the SCSI
Reflector and will be included in the next committee mailing.

2.    Attendance and Membership

Attendance at working group meetings does not count toward minimum attendance
requirements for X3T10 membership.  Working group meetings are open to any
person or company to attend and to express their opinion on the subjects being
discussed.

The following people attended the meeting:

		     CAM Working Group Meeting Attendees

					    Phone Number -or-
    Name                  Org               Electronic Mail Address
Mr. Neil T. Wanamaker  AMDAHL                   ntw20 at eng.amdahl.com
Mr. Gary Stephens      FSI                      6363897 at mcimail.com
Mr. Gene Milligan      Seagate                  gene_milligan at notes.seagate.com
Mr. Bob Snively        SUN Microsystems         bob.snively at sun.com
Mr. M. K. Jibbe        AT&T_GIS                 MahmoudJibbe at Wichitaks.ncr.com
Mr. Gerald Root        Volex
Mr. Ralph Weber        Digital Equipment Corp.  weber at star.enet.dec.com
Mr. Bill Dallas        Digital Equipment Corp.  dallas at wasted.enet.dec.com

8  people present

3.    Approval of Agenda

The agenda developed at the meeting was approved.

4.    Report on changes made on the document from Revision 6 to Revision 7.

Bill Dallas reported on the editorial and technical changes made in the
CAM document which changed the revision from revision 6 to 7. These changes
were the following:
     - Changes to CAM

	    Addition of function Scan Logical Unit

	    Addition of determining Logical Units SIM queues freeze count with
	    the RELEASE SIM QUEUE CCB.
	    o   Decrement freeze count and return current count
	    o   Return freeze count with no modification of count

	    Editorial changes suggested by March 1994 working group.

5.    Soft Reset Proposal
Bill Dallas stated that he had problems reading/converting Soft Reset proposal
|from Gary Stephens. He also stated that due to a conversation with Gary at the
March meeting he understood Garys proposal and had a counter proposal that was
more consistent with CAM. Gary's proposal dealt with changing the XPT to
monitor Inquiry data returned for the Soft Reset option support. If all Logical
Units on that bus supported the option then the SIM/HBA for that bus would be
notified that Soft Reset operation shall be observed.

The alternated proposal took a more simplistic view for Soft Reset support
under CAM. This support would reside in both the peripheral drivers and the
SIMs. Currently the SIM reports whether it supports the Soft Reset operation
by the Path Inquiry function. Bill's proposal adds a new CAM flag called Soft
Reset Operation for the Execute SCSI I/O function. In conjunction with the
Path Inquiry function and Inquiry data from the LUN, the peripheral driver
controls whether Soft Reset operation is desired with the Logical Unit. If
both the SIM and the LUN support Soft Resets the peripheral driver may choose
to operate in that manner. The Soft Reset Operation CAM flag directs the SIM
to operate this SIM queue for Soft Resets. One of the rules for the SIM is
that there can not be a mix of CCBs in this LUNs queue with mixed reset
operation. If a CCB is received that mixes operation the SIM shall reject the
CCBs. Queue reset operation duration is the length of time CCBs are in that
LUNs SIM queue.

Bills proposal was accepted.

6.    Review of the Revision 7 of the CAM document.

The CAM working started reviewing the CAM document from where it left off at
the March CAM working group. A number of editorial changes were made to the
document for clarification and correctness. The only Clause not reviewed by
the Working Group is 11. The clause will be reviewed by working group members
outside of meetings and comments to the editor within 1 month.

6.    Action Items
Bill Dallas to make all working group changes to the CAM document and post it
within 1 month. The Working Group members will try to post Clause 11 comments
to the editor within 1 month.

7.    Meeting Schedule

The next meeting of the CAM Working Group is planned for July 18, 1994 at
the Sheraton Inn in Manchester, NH.  The meeting is expected to run from
9:00am-7:00pm.

8.    Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 7:00 pm. on Monday, May 16, 1994.