RESERVATION CONFLICT AND ACA ACTIVE

Gerry Houlder Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
Wed Aug 17 11:07:45 PDT 1994

Charles's suggestion was as follows:

> I would suggest deleting the current wording
>in clause 4.6.5 and adding the following paragraph to 4.2 "Status" to define
>the reporting precedence when several conditions exist concurrently.
>
>"If more than one condition applies to a completed task, a condition associated
>with a BUSY, RESERVATION CONFLICT, ACA ACTIVE or TASK SET FULL status shall be
>reported in preference to any other condition associated with the task."

This wording doesn't go far enough. What if RESERVATION CONFLICT and TASK SET
FULL are both "true conditions"? Which one do I report? Is the order you list
the items in supposed to be a priority order, such that the first one is
reported if active or the 2nd one is reported if it is active and the 1st one
isn't, etc.? If so, this needs to be stated. Then I think Reservation Conflict
should be 1st, then ACA Active, Busy, Task Set Full (I would agree to have this
ahead of Busy if the committee desired), Check Condition, Command Terminated,
the two "condition met" possibilities, Intermediate, and Good (in this order).

There also has to be prioritization among CHECK CONDITION statuses. Checks that
intend to report Unit Attention sense key should have 1st priority, then checks
that would report deferred errors (from previous commands), then checks for the
current command.

The point is that a test case can be made so that any pair of these statuses
can be simultaneously active. If the standard doesn't specify how to handle
these cases, then every product will have to make that decision for itself.
This priority order wasn't in SCSI-2 because the committee thought the order
wasn't important enough to cause inconpatibilities in a real system. Maybe a
different decision is warranted for SCSI-3.
Gerry Houlder -- Gerry_Houlder at notes.seagate.com
Seagate Technology   -   920 Disc Drive   -   Scotts Valley, CA 95066 USA
Main Phone 408-438-6550   -   Email Problems postmaster at notes.seagate.com
Technical Support: BBS 408-438-8771  Fax 408-438-8137  Voice 408-438-8222

### OGATE Version 8 message trace and attachment information:
### MsgFileName: m:\mgate\outbound\1509.MSG
### Org Date:    08-17-94 10:54:38 AM
### From:        Gerry Houlder at SEAGATE
### To:          scsi @ WichitaKS.NCR.COM @ internet
### Subject:     Re: RESERVATION CONFLICT AND ACA ACTIVE