QErr bit and Multi-Initiator

Gene Milligan Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Fri Aug 12 08:59:21 PDT 1994

Referring to Charles Monia's original questions 8/11/94.

I think your literal assumption of how QErr works is one that would result from
artificial intelligence. I would say it works analogously to what would happen
if rather than an error the Initiator that experienced the troublesome error
had sent down an instantaneous Abort Task Set. Only the I/O Processes present
in the Task Set at the time the instigating Unit Attention Condition occurred
due to real errors from real I/O processing are aborted. Pending reports due
other initiators have no clearing function relative to fresh new I/O processes.

As I recall the  QErr function came about due to the desire to have an auto
reservation upon error similar to the way (I am told) the block mux channel
works. This then would have given the Initiator the opportunity to issue  an
Abort Task Set rather than have a QErr function.
Gene Milligan -- Gene_Milligan at notes.seagate.com
Seagate Technology   -   920 Disc Drive   -   Scotts Valley, CA 95066 USA
Main Phone 408-438-6550   -   Email Problems postmaster at notes.seagate.com
Technical Support: BBS 408-438-8771  Fax 408-438-8137  Voice 408-438-8222

### OGATE Version 8 message trace and attachment information:
### MsgFileName: m:\mgate\outbound\632.MSG
### Org Date:    08-12-94 08:51:09 AM
### From:        Gene Milligan at SEAGATE
### To:          scsi @ wichitaks.ncr.com @ internet
### Subject:     Re: QErr bit and Multi-Initiator